Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Lasting Gift of Thanksgiving

I am a crier and a pouter. Does this mean Santa isn't coming to visit me this year?
Perhaps I should express more gratitude for the little things in life:
Last week alone...
1. Not being pulled over and ticketed for expired car registration tags (loooong story that had a happy ending)
2. My husband being the middle car in an eight car accident and his was the only car untouched by the other seven.
3. Gram realizing that the gift of audio is a good thing and yes, the three sequential beeps followed by silence for thirty seconds repeated for a six-hour period is the oven reminding you that you forgot to turn it off. Of course, she complained that her hearing aid was defective and making funny beeping noises in groups of three; she was completely oblivious to the fact that she could have burned the house down. However, as long as nothing distracts her from her Harlequin romances, it's all good.

***

As this year is fast approaching its close, my heart is drawn to the blessings of family and country and their simple beauty which surrounds us from day to day. I hope I never allow these blessings to become invisible from my sight; I have found that if we permit the trials which may be painful or inconvenient to step to the forefront in our lives, the enduring rainbows of blessing will fade behind eyes that grow heavy with gray shadows. It is true that many of us have been tried to great extent this year, and it may seem that relief from our burdens cannot come quickly enough. However, I realize that no matter what circumstance I find myself in, I can continue to render my life in thanksgiving, and in doing so, perhaps the weight of my burdens will become lighter, even as light as the leaf which effortlessly drifts upon the strength of a crisp morning wind.

In this season of Thanksgiving, I am often reminded that the greatest women (and men) are those who recognize the hand of the Lord in their lives and of their great dependence upon Him. Their trials, which may or may not be evidenced to the outside world, pale behind their countenances of sincere gratitude and appreciation. I take note of their humility and their grace, and strive to emulate their example. However, I also know that I stumble more often than I stride so I have prepared a contingency plan to help me over the rough spots. I have stocked my freezers, pantries, and secret nooks and crannies full of treats and decadent desserts. For how else can a girl console herself while maneuvering the harsh realities of this world? I tell you from experience when the brain fails to navigate, it is a sugar-coated tongue that comes to the rescue. It is possible that a mouth full of sugar is the best back-up plan in the world.

While carrying the second great miracle of my life, my heart is softened towards the tender mercies which surround me, and the power of redeeming and preserving grace echoing in my heart. I am in awe of the sweet little boys entrusted to my care and feel strengthened by the role I play in Xavier's life and will soon play in his brother's life. I have found that where my talents of mother fall short with Xavier, my back-up plan is ready to fill in the gaps; as long as I keep X placated with fruit snacks, I will have a happy little buddy for life.

After three years of discovery with Xavier, I can only mildly express the joy which comes from the calling of motherhood. There were many years in which I thought such an endowment would never be made known to me, whether by heavenly plan or from perceptions of personal unworthiness. Now that I have experienced the tenderness of such a divine calling, I can look at my role as a woman and as a mother with a refined heart of gratitude. Even though I sometimes struggle with being all that a woman and mother should be, I also know from experience that there is no substitute for a mother; the true hallmarks of motherhood do not end with the creation of life but begin with the enduring examples of charity, long-suffering, devotion, patience, serenity and purity. Even when the mother has passed from the home, these principles will live on in her children as not only the lasting gifts of motherhood, but as a lasting gift of thanksgiving.



The gift of family is perhaps one of the greatest reasons to offer thanks this time of year. During the third weekend in October, my husband's sister Kesit and her husband David came to visit with their first born daughter, Riley. Riley was only seven weeks old during her inaugural visit to Utah. With family surrounding her, Riley received her name and blessing in a church ceremony on that Sunday morning. It is a great privilege to share in the warmth of family and to celebrate the milestones in a young person's life.



We were fortunate to have my husband's grandmother Charlotte with us on that morning. Thaus' father performed the ceremony while Grandma Karen helped to wrestle the rambunctious ones. While I was holding Riley during sacrament meeting, Xavier took the liberty of "introducing" Riley to her unborn cousin. He would stroke her head, call her "Baby" and then point to my tummy and say "Baby". He would gently repeat this course of action until he was satisfied Riley showed understanding. The kid is an ambassador in training.



Although two of the five siblings were not able to attend, Thaus' youngest sister Apria, her husband John, and their four children made the trip from Logan, Utah. Xavier thoroughly enjoyed running through the church yard with other people his size.



It is interesting to me that no matter where we may roam, whether alone or in the company of others, we are able to find our way home because we carry a song of gratitude in our hearts. No matter where the winds blow us this holiday season, may we take the time to celebrate our way home, appreciating the small steps along the way, and offering a prayer of thanksgiving for the gifts given to us in the present, and for all the ones given to sustain us through a lifetime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How sweet. May your Thanksgiving this year be a joyous one! Also,...I think Santa allows a bit of whining and still comes to visit. :) He has a missus at home, so he is aware that us females are allowed a bit of that now and then. LOL