Xavier turned four on July 28. I remember when he was but six months old, cradled in my arms, growling at the other babies. Now he is a strapping young man, concerned with the thoughts and feelings of others, the safe journeys of Santa Claus and how much he wants to spend time with Jesus.
Although he is only one quarter Portuguese, Xavier has the makings of a full-blooded Portugue. He is stubborn and serious, and fiesty when it comes to change. He also won't do anything until he is ready. This includes smiling.
After much coaxing, some bribing, and a little deal making on the side, Xavier's tough outer shell melted to reveal the happy boy we know and love.

Xavier embarked on his new journey on September 7, 2011. He was walked to school by his grandma Karen and welcomed by Ms. Karen and Ms. Amy, his veteran preschool teachers. They are kind, fun and encouraging, and my heart soars each day when I greet his smile at the end of class. The first words Xavier says to me are, "Mom, I like preschool. I want to go back. I like that you pick me up. Let's blow flowers (a.k.a dandelions.)"

These are the moments that melt a mother's heart. These are the moments I understand "why" I do what I do every day. What a blessing it is to me to spend half of my days at home learning with my boys. The sacrifices I am making to care for them pale in comparison to the joy I feel at all they are learning. Life is a precious gift; we must take each day for what it is and learn one new thing, even if it presents a challenge in learning.
My dad told me a few weeks ago that change is good. If we aren't willing to change, we aren't willing to grow. He was referring to the inner struggle I was having with changing my employment. I was fearful of the unknown and relinquishing my white-knuckled grip on temporal security, even though it was cutting off circulation to the rest of my being. Thankfully, there were words, softly spoken, that cut through the noisy world around me and echoed far louder than the shouts of my fears - "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." With a resevoir of faith, I summoned the courage I needed to make a change and accept the call for growth. I guess you could say that I followed the example of a courageous four-year old. How happy I am that Xavier is willing to take the first step on a changing course and grow with Active Learning Preschool.
1 comment:
I'm just glad that you are brave enough to make the sacrifices you need to to help your family. There will be struggles along the way but eventually it will all be worth it and someday your boys will so grateful for all you've done for them.
Post a Comment