Saturday, August 11, 2012

Celebrating Our Successes

It's fun to celebrate milestones in life.  It's also fun to indulge in vanilla bean frosted banana cake.

Last week while Angie and I were lazily floating in the kiddie pool at the Scera, I had this bright idea to throw the kids a "Back to School" party.  I think mixing pizza and treats is always a good idea, but when you combine it with decorations and school supply party bags, you have a real winner on your hands.  In case you are wondering where my inspiration comes from, I'm convinced the sun makes me smarter, and coupled with the soothing lull of clear blue waves, I am a force to be reckoned with.

Even though the kids are not returning to school until the 21st, I opted for this weekend to be our party-palooza blowout.  Ang and I are busy getting ready for our yard sale next Saturday and I'm too old for the excitement of consecutive late nights and early mornings.  By the way, let's hear it for cleaning out closets and scary basement places! First one to get bitten by a spider is "IT!"

This will be Xavier's first year in the elementary school (which is conveniently located across the street from our home).  He attended a local preschool program this past year and recently graduated from a Kindergarten prep program earlier this month.  I asked him if he was excited about going to school with the big kids.  He replied in that sweet yet reassuring voice of his, "Aw, mom, it's only high school."  I'm not sure if I missed a few grades, but let's hope high school isn't on his radar anytime soon.  I want to enjoy every moment of this grand new adventure.

It's never too early to consider colleges of higher learning.  Emerson is sporting love for his favorite Big Ten team, the Indiana Hoosiers.  Go, Big Red! 

Since learning is a life-long endeavor, it's always fun to celebrate education at every stage of our lives.  From the young to the young-at-heart, each day presents opportunities for growth.  Just yesterday, Grammy learned something new from watching Mickey Mouse.  If you caught my last post, you will understand why Disney is geared to teach children of all ages.

Laughter among friends is precious.  When those friends are your cousins, you appreciate the strength of familial bonds and building eternal relationships.

It's true...the corythosaurus is a duck-billed dinosaur! hahahaha

Without exception, Bubba is the life of the party.  I love his zest and unbridled enthusiasm for life.  I wonder where he gets his exuberance from?

Hint: She's the cute redhead who loves a good party and the Beatles!

It's always fun attempting to corral the kids for a picture.  You can never get them to smile on cue, but you can find four personalities that sparkle simultaneously.

Bubba's face says it all.  Time for a sugar boost!

Here are the other honorable mentions:

Any way you look at it, these kids are cute! And with their diverse personalities, they will rule the school! 

Three cheers for treat bags!

Look out for kids with candy and scissors! 

...and Batman pop rock candy!

Bubba, X, and snap, crackle, pop!

A party just isn't a party without some Wii time and a movie in the theatre room.  But first, Sammie gets right to work composing her thoughts while the boys jump to safety in Super Mario Bros. 

Sammie's Musings: I love skool.  I love lrneing.  I love math.  (And I love her! A girl who loves learning is a girl who enjoys blessings beyond measure.)


While the boys continue their game, Sammie joins Scooby and the gang to solve an important mystery.  It's always good to have an additional set of eyes and ears in the field...

Sammie, Velma, and Daphne = Girl power!

...but watch out for that water, girl!

Family time is definitely the best time.  I have to thank my mother, Kathy, for teaching me to make the little things in life count.  She celebrated our successes along the way, and because of her I had glitter and puffy stickers for every holiday and milestone, both great and small.  I really miss sharing these experiences with her, but I think she would be proud that her legacy lives on.  She loved a good party and a pizza to boot, so the Name girls will continue to serve up a slice in her honor and make good use of those leftover bananas, just like she taught us.  ♥

Here's to a new school year and all the wonderful discoveries that await us!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Love it! And those pics of Bubba are hilarious!