Meet Xavier. Smart, sassy, spirited. Hater of photography. Yes, that's right. HATER of photography.
Since Xavier is two years new to this world, I have had several heart-to-heart chats with him regarding the rights and privileges of motherhood. Among my unwritten privileges is the right to take annual photos for holiday cards and greetings. Halloween is one of my favorite celebrations and I anxiously attempt to capture that ultimate pose when costume and boy collide in unparalleled harmony.
Why Xavier continuously thwarts my plans is beyond my comprehension. I began early in the month acquainting him with the boy in green. I laid out his costume, hosted Peter Pan dress up days, and hyped up practice photo sessions. I even purchased the DVD and let him view it ad nauseam. One week prior to the big event, ('cause I am running out of time to get the cards printed), this is what we got:
Xavier has made peace with the green, velvety pants but he would rather run around with a ball in his shirt than put on the matching vest. I realize the original Peter Pan was a female, yet I think we are heading in the wrong direction...
Daddy tries to help the cause by modeling how to wear the jacket. Xavier remains more interested in stuffing toys up his pajama shirt.
This is the first time we have successfully managed to get two and then three costume parts on simultaneously. Xavier is now in major meltdown mode. His face is stained with tears and he begins to choke on his crying induced coagulation.
Daddy suggests that perhaps all this trauma is not worth a photo for Mommy's cards. I acquiesce, knowing that no amount of coaxing will entice Xavier to wear velvet. Liberace he is not. But there has to be something he will wear...
Exit Peter. Enter Peyton.
Xavier was never happier to shed Peter and his shadow. He was elated to be stripped to his diaper, thus allowing me to carry forth with my contingency plan. I grabbed Xavier's collection of Indianapolis Colts attire and hoped a Hail Mary could save the day.
Touchdown! For the next hour, Xavier runs around the house, throwing his football and squealing with delight. The change in mood was instantaneous. I guess he preferred to square off against Tom Brady instead of Captain Hook. Patriots be warned!



Peyton scores again! I now have a happy little boy and a winning holiday costume. I am too late for the printers, but just in time for Saturday's showdown. Now all we have to do is go on the hunt for the perfect pumpkin...unfortunately, the one Daddy is smuggling isn't for sale.
Please consider this your Halloween card. Season's Greetings!
7 comments:
I LOVE these pictures! Reminds me of when my son was two and I tried to get him to wear a "Beast" costume. He was having NONE of it! They definitely have minds of their own, don't they??
ha ha ..... that is so funny! Bobby and I were laughing at the peter pan costume - maybe it's cause he knew the real peter wears tights??
Too funny. At least he'll wear something!
i am cracking up that he got so angry about wearing a costume lol!! go colts!!
Being a Peyton fan myself I can't blame the little guy. He makes such a handsome quarterback and I just love the photos. They turned out great! Plus if he embrassed the green velvet and wouldn't take it off, wouldn't that worry you a bit?
I think it is just the costume... next time you could try letting him "pick" (meaning choose from a few costumes you find acceptable and photo worthy)his own. Jack choose to be a gorilla and Elias chose to be a wolf ninja (no idea what this is, except there is a mask with a wolf head sticking out of the forehead involved) this year, and I have to force them to take the costumes off!
Oh my goodness... look at that kid! I'm guessing musical theater won't be in his future either.
Post a Comment