I unlatched the front door to be greeted by the sun's early morning light. It is intense and bright as it peeks above the rocky mountain horizon. So bright, in fact, that I have to squint to make out the view which greets me to the east every morning. There, in the gentle breeze, is our American flag swaying softly to and fro. It's white pole and vibrant colors are almost iridescent in the radiance of the sun's light. Standing adjacent to the flag is a steeple, the very steeple of my church building. I will be there in a few short hours. I am glad to have a moment in the quiet of this morning to fully appreciate its graceful splendor and beauty.
There is nothing so calming to my soul as the sight of an American flag. The flag is a symbol of much more than I can express with my words. With each thread within the red and white folds I can feel her freedom, her valor, her bravery, her endurance. And within each white star is represented the memorial of our crusades, and the testaments to our government, our industry, our religion, our liberty, and our heritage. Looking back, I am sure before I began my earthly journey on that small plot of Indiana soil, that I admired the American flag, her nation, and her people. I would not be surprised to learn, when surrounded by heavenly splendor, I watched closely from above and with great anticipation begged to be sent here, for I love the symbol of America's perseverance, and with a flair of vanity, I most assuredly declared that I have always looked good in her colors.
From time to time I have spent a moment pondering why our flag, lovingly referred to as Old Glory, epitomizes the ideals of American life and virtue. There are many ideas which flow in rapid current from the springs of my mind, yet the answer may be so simple that I fear I overlook the magnitude of it. In this country we often refer to ourselves as independent representatives of our collective states. I, myself, do it often. I have lived in Utah for 17 years and still refer to myself as a "Hoosier." My husband refers to himself as a "Texan." Others are proud to be a "New Yorker", a "Husky", or a New England "Patriot." I am proud of my roots and where I learned to become an American...but that is the crux of it all. Regardless of our state, or school, or religion, we are all Americans and no matter where we were brought up in the ways of American life, one flag and one flag alone represents us. To me, the unity of the red, white, and blue is not a reminder of our rebellion from England. It is not a mark of defiance and vengeance. The Lord promised a chosen land for His people; that could not come to pass without the mark of succession from our mother country. As the Lord prunes His vineyard to bring forth the ripe fruit, so did the people of the colonies have to refine their own spirits. And so the Revolutionary struggle began, and the roots of a nation became planted deep within the soil of greatness.
From the great wars and the shedding of colonial blood was this nation purified. The dark nights fell silent to days of the brightest light, and under the direction of Christianity, the perils of aggression, fear, and alienation gave way to peace, hope, and brotherhood. America's story is a courageous triumph of strength and glory. For this, we have much to thankful for. For this, we have become a nation of enduring civil liberties, a nation whose piety and patriotism can only be attributed to the great plan of He who watches over us all. He, who will never allow moth nor rust to corrupt, has made an everlasting covenant with His people that this nation will be the ensign to all nations upon the earth. In humbled gratitude, I acknowledge my unworthiness of this prosperity, and my undying commitment to honorably protect, even to the final thread of hallowed writ, all the days of my life.
In honor of Old Glory, I believe Henry Ward Beecher expressed his sentiment more eloquently than I ever could:
On this solemn and joyful day we again lift to the breeze our fathers' flag, now again the banner of the United States, with the fervent prayer that God would crown it with honor, protect it from treason, and send it down to our children with all the blessings of civilization, liberty, and religion. Terrible in battle, may it be beneficent in peace...The stars that redeem night from darkness, and the beams of red light that beautify the morning, have been united upon its folds. As long as the sun endures, or the stars, may it wave over a nation neither enslaved nor enslaving...
Friends, where the paths of patriotism will lead us in coming years, I do not know. We may be called to cross burdensome mountains and endure the prick of thorny weeds as those of the noble birthright, but one thing is for sure...America's voice is strong and her echoes are not faint. Her dreams will never burn in flame and her passion will never be extinguished. Her symbol will stand upon the hill, never faltering and never more stalwart. She will inspire new generations to heights of greatness. Storms? Old Glory will weather them. Her people? Poised always by her side.
3 comments:
Great post AmErika!
I seriously wish you would write Obama's speeches, because yours are waaaay better than his!
AmErika? Brilliant, love it, and love the post too!
Post a Comment