Here comes Santa Claus,
Right down Center Street Lane,
He'll come around when the kids chime out
For it's picture time again.
Hear those squeals and bribes and cheers
Pleading moms consumed in picturesque plight
Sit up straight and dry those tears
'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight, tonight!
Santa Claus is comin' tonight!

Santa made a stop on his whirlwind holiday tour at the Chillon Reception Center in the heart of Spanish Fork City. We were fortunate that he made his star appearance early in the month as we have only heard his praises during the days and weeks preceding the Thanksgiving holiday. Xavier could not wait to meet the man who's enchanting presence could magically grant him the Christmas wish that his heart so fully desired.

Xavier had been watching his Santa Claus Rankin and Bass specials daily for weeks. We had prepared him for the evening of December 2nd when he would get to meet his favorite toymaker in red.
Xavier did not want the car to be fully stopped or parked as this could hinder his placement in line. As we pulled into the Chillon and before Thaus could put the brakes on, Xavier exclaimed, "Hurry, get me out!" Hold on there, little fella. Santa doesn't visit kids who are ejected from moving vehicles.

We arrived at the reception center an hour before closing time. Since we did not have an appointment, I worried that the line would be long as this was Santa's only headlining performance in our part of the county. I was surprised that only three or four kids were in line ahead of us. Xavier jumped, crept, and inched his way in front of the other kids to get an unobstructed view and make his presence known. He was so excited that he kept waving and calling to Santa from his place in line. I thought we were in for a fuss-free photo shoot as nothing could put a damper on this kid's enthusiasm...
...until Xavier heard his name called and he was ushered towards the glow of lights surrounding his favorite holiday figure; he instantly retreated in fear as he became a permanent growth on his father's leg. He buried his head and would neither look at Santa nor the photographer. Thaus sat next to Santa and placed Xavier on his knee so it would appear that X was actually sitting on Santa's lap. No amount of prodding, pleading, or mildly threatening words could convince him to smile and focus his attention on the camera. Christy, the photographer, was so patient and sweet with him. We eventually decided to give up since the line was growing longer with each passing minute; we thanked the photographer and her staff and made our way to the staircase which would lead us down to the exit. We made it to the first landing when Xavier burst into tears. Thaus and I were perplexed as to what the problem was. Through broken sobs Xavier mustered a heart-rendering apology; he was sorry he didn't smile and would like another chance with Santa. Well, who can deny a person a second chance in life? Especially a person with such a sweet face? I went to check with the hostesses to see if we could stand in line again; I didn't even mind paying the minimal fee so Xavier could finish his evening with a happy memory. I received permission from the photographer that we could have a re-take so we stood at the back of the line again. This time, there were several patrons ahead of us, yet this proved a good opportunity to practice with Xavier and praise him with an inspiring pep talk. I was quietly praying that this round would prove more successful than the last, as it would be heartbreaking for Xavier to lose confidence in himself again.
Xavier's encore visit with Santa elicited a cooler and calmer little boy. I was elated that Christy captured this pose for the re-take photo. It perfectly embodies Xavier's inward struggle with courage and independence in the face of uncertainty and insecurity. I was impressed he wanted to give Santa a second chance and give his "I require photo documentation for everything" momma the holiday memory I feel so entitled to!
4 comments:
Awww I'm glad he got a second chance! Such a cute picture!
Next time I'm going to take my kids!
I love the expression on his face with Santa. Too cute!
Great picture with Santa. Love the look on his face.
Post a Comment