Friday, February 4, 2011

All Aboard the Christmas Express

Dear Santa: Please bring me a choo choo train. Love, Xavier age 3



Few things bring as much joy and excitement as the magic of Christmas. This year, a three-year old boy was hoping that his favorite jolly ol' elf would sprinkle some of that magic in the form of an electric locomotive. I do not know which sparkled more this past Christmas morn: the twinkling lights of the tree or the mesmerizing glow of Xavier's blue eyes.



Where does Santa put all those cookies and glasses of milk? To Xavier's delight, Santa was kind enough to leave a thank you note on his new art easel.



Xavier wasted no time assuming his role as conductor. He even threw his own phonetic spin on the traditional "All aboard!" as he welcomed his passengers by a jubilant "On the board!"



In addition to his Bachmann Rail King, Xavier found his lego Thomas set quite satisfactory.



This was the first year Xavier was excited to open presents. He was so excited, in fact, that he insisted on helping everyone else open their presents too. His joyful expressions of "Is this yours, Mommy? Okay, I'll help you." warmed my spirit. What a difference a year makes in the life of a child!



What are the holidays without the company of good food and kindred spirits? My sisters and I take turns hosting Christmas dinner and I was fortunate enough to secure the hostess seat again this year. As I prepared the meal and reflected upon the blessing of having each person in my life, I was touched by the significance of creating family memories and forging lasting traditions that will carry us through the years. With a heart full of love, I am grateful for all the faces surrounding our holiday table, especially the jam-smeared faces full of infectious giggles and silly smiles.




Wrangling the kids together for a cousin photo is always a comedy of errors. Aunt Andi had to assist in corraling the more spirited (and defiant) ones into a close perimeter. I love how their personalities really shine through their faces and how they tolerate an aunt who turns every holiday moment into a Kodak moment.



The older I get, the more it feels like Christmas lingers only as long as the last carol of the bell or the smoking wick of a candle. I find it difficult to maintain the feelings, impressions, and scents of the season beyond the unwrapped ribbons and wilted mistletoe adorning the doorway. Thankfully, the photos I capture help to keep the memories alive and securely tied to my heartstrings. I find that if I blink or become distracted by the busyness of the season, the magic of the moment disappears as quickly as a passing train, taking with it my opportunity to experience the fantasy and wonder aboard the Christmas Express.

4 comments:

discombobulated said...

Look at you blogger girl! I'm all for you getting caught up because that means soon we get to little Emerson's pictures :) And yep, X was super cute at Christmas too.

The Brewer Babies! said...

Great pics! I can't believe there are 8 little ones between you and your sissy's. Too awesome!

Anlla Amonett said...

Christmas sure did come and go quickly at our house this year. It's always nice to look back at pictures and let my mind play in a field of memories when things calm down. Thanks for sharing yours Erika, and I also can't wait for some Emerson! :)

Anonymous said...

I think Gabe looks so much older here! And I love how Bubba just a quick visit and was outta there.