Monday, March 28, 2011

Love Only Knows

Love only knows how it feels to be a superhero in the eyes of another. To be a crusader, a warrior, a protector of all that is good. To be the one who's arms pull a man in before the tide pulls him under.

I came across this photo yesterday while syncing my husband's evo to his laptop. It was taken on February 23.



For a young boy, love can manifest itself in many forms, mimicking the actions and mannerisms of a father or brother, even taking on the appearance of an acclaimed superhero. Xavier is infatuated with superheroes, classic ones from the DC Comic days of my youth, and new ones born in DreamWorks Animation studios and Disney drawing rooms. It is a great and marvelous thing to be a superhero in life. To be the person who everyone looks up to, the person who is emulated in action, word, and deed. Oftentimes, Xavier dons a terrycloth cape (disguised as a hooded bath towel), reaches his arms into the sky and catapults from the highest heights our furniture will allow, thus proclaiming his superhero name to all the inhabitants of the world. He may refer to himself as Batman one day, Superman the next, and Mega Man the day thereafter. Yet Emerson will only know him as Xavier, his older and wiser big brother. I read once that it is more important to be a brother than a superhero. Perhaps it is because the bond of brotherhood is expected to outlast the fleeting nature of heroism. Perhaps it is easier to be a hero in one moment than to be a brother in all moments. Nevertheless, whatever line may be drawn to separate a brother from a superhero, another may draw them closer. When I look upon these boys, my focus becomes blurry as I do not know how to delineate between the two. For this dynamic duo, love only knows that they are one in the same.

Endnote: I owe a hearty thank you to Josh Groban for the working title. Illuminations inspires me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome picture! You need to blow this up in black and white and hang it in his room.

Courtney Vance said...

That really is such a sweet picture. I agree with Angie.

Funny Farmer said...

CaYUTE! Both of your boys are just gorgeous.

Eta: I love the little convos you have recorded on the right sidebar. ahahahahaha

The Brewer Babies! said...

I agree with Ang! That picture needs hung up! Sweetest picture ever. They def. love each other.

Marcy said...

That picture is SO sweet! It just makes my heart melt.

Anlla Amonett said...

What a sweet picture. This one is absolutly one that needs to be blown up and hung on the wall forever! I love it ♥