Since the dawn of civilization, there have been those who fight for peace and those who seek to destroy it. History tells us of their stories, the ones of triumph and struggle, of hero and villain, of empires that rise and fall. And regardless of where we stand, the perils of opposition are inescapable. None of us are immune to the battles raging on the homefront, for nothing can undermine the forces of good versus evil, light versus dark, child versus great-grandparent.
Aside from their kinship, Xavier and Gram are pretty typical for two competitive three-year olds. Although it is true that Gram's tree rings measure eighty-five, her reasoning capabilities measure three. Oftentimes, it is difficult to decipher who is the child and who is the grandparent for Gram and Xavier share a tempestuous relationship, kissing and hugging each other one moment, bickering over toys the next. Both of them are stubborn and particular, unrelenting in their personal preferences and viewpoints. Xavier smartly defined their dichotomy in a conversation with his father and great-grandmother.
"I'm Optimus Prime, baby Emerson is Bumblebee, and Gram, you're Megatron, head of the Decepticons."
And the truth shall set you free.
In other Transformer news...
One day when Xavier was helping his dad at work, they constructed their own version of X's most beloved Autobots, Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

Why would anyone want to contend with this face?
***
Aside from parental and spiritual role models, I can appreciate Xavier's need to have a childhood hero. When I was a young girl, my hero was Wonder Woman. I watched her, admired her and emulated her. I even prayed that I could be her. Last evening, I couldn't help but smile as history repeated itself when Xavier offered the following bedtime prayer: "Thank you for mommy and daddy. Thank you for baby Emerson. I'm Optimus Prime. Amen."
Short of a Peterbilt 379 parked in the driveway, I can see the resemblance. Can you?
4 comments:
Thank you for the laugh. I'm grateful that Gram will go toe-to-toe with X even if it is just for us to roar in laughter. By the way, you know they are coming out with a new wonder woman movie right?
Hahaha. I'm Optimus Prime. I love it!
That is so funny! I never thought of you having two 3 year olds but I suppose it's true! Thanks for the chuckle.
Best.Prayer.Ever.
Post a Comment