Each city in Happy Valley hosts carnivals, parades and rodeos to celebrate summer in all her splendor. Orem's Summerfest headlines the party roster, followed by American Fork's Steel Days, Pleasant Grove's Strawberry Days, Provo's Freedom Festival, Springville's Art City Days and Payson's Onion Days. My own hometown of Spanish Fork celebrates Fiesta Days in late July. So, if you are ever in need of something to do between Memorial and Labor Day, take a trip south of the point of the mountain; there is always merriment to be found among the crackers of Utah County.

The kids love having a front row seat (see Emerson in his Bumbo) so we arrived early to stake our claim and rev our candy-snagging engines. To pass the two-hour wait, we played musical camp chairs while enjoying snacks, conversation and song...

♫ Who is this? A movie star or someone on t.v.? A celebrity that millions love? No, it's none of the above. It's X, Sammie and Gabe wearin' their shades!♫ (When I was in the 7th grade choir I sang this tune in front of the entire school. Seeing these kids elicits repressed memories and talent. You're impressed, aren't you?)
Jet flyovers signal the start of the parade. While we oohed and aahed over the aerial manuevers and sonic booms overhead, I was a little worried how my boys would fair with the ear-deafening civil war rifles sounding off directly in front of us.

Xavier cowered behind me with his hands over his ears; Emerson's reaction was a bit more stoic.
Luckily, we had the Lord of Summerfest, Mr. Lucky Charm himself, to bring a smile to the boys' faces. As Lucky jigged his legs in front of us, Thaus put on his best Irish accent and asked, "Has anyone seen my lucky charms?" I was laughing so hard I could barely get a picture. Just goes to show that white people in tight shorts have rhythm too.

And you never know where inspiration will come from...
Emerson has some moves of his own.
Amidst all the marching bands, jeweled tiaras and motorcycle riding mascots, the General Lee made his own grand entrance. Weaving from either side of the road, I was surprised this handsome hot rod didn't crash.
Oh wait, I spoke too soon...
Whatever your delight this summer, don't let the parade pass you by! Whether jigging to an Irish tune, taking a nap in the shade or accepting candy from strangers, we hope your summer is magically delicious!
2 comments:
Ahhh, cute Emerson. Love that sleepy little boy. Auntie needs to snuggle him all next week.
When I saw Angie's pictures of Irish Dancing Man, I guffawed! Hilarious and he looks like he is having the time of his life.
I love a good parade.
Post a Comment