Monday, June 13, 2011

A Taste of Summer

If you could taste summer, what flavor would it be? Would it be the juicy, red sweetness of a watermelon, the exotic, white crunch of a coconut, or perhaps the icy, blue chill of a popsicle? In Amerika's world, summer is synonymous with red, white and blue, so every flavor includes a tribute to our liberty. And what better way to celebrate the greatest season of the year with a flag unfurled atop a sprinkling of sugar crystals and Momma's best icing supreme?

This past Saturday, the Young Women of the Aspen Meadows 2nd Ward hosted a fundraiser in the form of a yard and bake sale. I volunteered to make treats, and what inspiration comes at 5 in the morning - little brownie cups filled with buttercream frosting and sprinkles! I was quite pleased with how they turned out, especially since my first attempt to create angel food cakes was a bloody hit and run. I wanted a complete chorus of Uncle Sam's favorite trio, yet I think the brown adds an earthy tone and we don't want to forget our roots, do we?



Isn't it amazing how a little American flag can make anything look better? Whether waving in the breeze, twirling in my hand, or mounted upon a brownie, the colors of freedom never looked so tasty. Makes me want to create an entire line of patriotic inspired cuisine. So the next time you cross paths with "Amerikan Graffiti" desserts, lean in real close for you just might hear their melody, "Amerika was here!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The cupcakes? Seriously beautiful!! I agree...the flag makes everything look better and this post has me in the mood for the fourth!