Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lincoln's Legacy

Okay, so I can't wait. I know it is only June 30, but who wants to discuss the end of the fiscal year anyway? I thought it a fitting tribute to begin my month-long salute to patriotism by paying homage to our 16th U.S. President, Mr. Abraham Lincoln.



Why do I love Lincoln, you ask? For many reasons, yet here are eleven in no particular order:

1. He was common in appearance. He did not have a flair for being the charming, smooth, and dashing man in office (much the opposite of how I would characterize Reagan, Romney, or Chaffetz). He was simple, yet charismatic, and used humor to hide his depression.
2. He was humble. He was a talented athlete, although most people do not know that about him because of his endearing humilty.
3. He was a man of foresight. He had a vision for our country and was deeply rooted in morality. He was steadfast and immovable.
4. He was a man of honor. I love him because he was genuine; he did not need to hide behind appearance or cunning. He did not engage in secret combination.
5. He united a country once divided.
6. He freed the slaves.
7. He was eloquent and riveting in speech. Although I do not believe Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was his best speech ever written, it was truly one of the most defining speeches in American history.
8. He epitomized the American spirit. He was a champion of all, an exemplary man.
9. He was super smart. He held a patent in 1849 for overhauling steamboats, allowing them to lift over the shoals. (I like the smart ones.)
10. He was compassionate. He understood a thing or two about the travails of life having lost his mother at a young age and three of his four children.
11. Although he has no living descendants, he continues to be an inspiration to generations of Americans.

"With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan - to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations." (March 4, 1865)

I love Abraham Lincoln. He may not have been full of grace, and he may not have been the most popular among his peers, but I know that he fulfilled his mission with a fulness of heart. I believe his character was second to none, and his legacy will live on through times of peace and times of tempest. I believe that he was foreordained to come to this world to lead our nation and to break the bonds of slavery. I trust that he now sits on the right hand of God, having been just and swift in the cause of righteousness, and will inherit all that our Father hath. God bless you, Abe. Your death will not be remembered in vain..."that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

2 comments:

Mandy said...

WOW!! What a great tribute to my favorite historical character!! It's so blasphemous when Obama references Lincoln like he (Obama), is living up to some vision that Lincoln held for this country.
Thinking about Lincoln's character makes me think of those words Alma spoke of Moroni..."if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men."
Great post, Erika!

Sheral Wilson said...

Um... I love Lincoln too, but I feel too stupid to leave a message!! (Although I understood all of the words - I could in no way - speak like that!!)
Anyways...
I read a book about Mary Todd Lincoln - I think it was historical fiction... and I loved it. What a crazy crazy life!!!!
When Joel and I went to D.C. we were wondering through the streets and came across Ford's Theater (being renovated at the time so we couldn't go in) and went through the little house where Lincoln died... it was tiny and smelled old and musty, but it was one of my favorite places we saw!