Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Gift of Renewal

Every morning when the sun peeks above the eastern horizon of the farmer's field, I welcome a day full of possibilities. There is something inspiring about breaking the bonds of night, offering hope to a weary soul. Just as the bitterness of winter is broken by the birth of a spring blossom, so my soul delighteth in the bloom of a tulip or in the soft hint of lavender floating on the breeze.

The arrival of Spring brings renewal and rejuvenation to my world. There is much to celebrate in the robin's song, the swaying blades of grass, the cherry blossoms filling the air with their delicate, floral scent. How thankful I am to a loving Heavenly Father who has provided me with the gift of renewal not only in my physical world, but in my body, mind and spirit.

Easter is a time for me to reflect upon the blessings of the Atonement. Because of the sacrifice of a perfect elder brother, I have the capacity to wipe away the smudges and marks of my own imperfection. As I often erase words or phrases in my writing, repentance allows me to make adjustments to my course, to refine my mind and spirit, and to remove my briars and thorns. The gift of renewal testifies of the miraculous power of healing and delivers in times of winter, a haven of peace and rest. The Atonement offers us a promise to restore, to cleanse, to free ourselves from burden. We can love our lives, we can cherish our friendships and we can anticipate the sunrises on the horizon.

Each day that I look upon these faces, I feel inspired to continue on my course. I am often weary from the demands of daily life, yet my Father has given me angels to rekindle my spirit and help my feet stand resilient.



There is a light that radiates from those who are new to this mortal state. Fresh from heaven, they carry with them the love and purity of He who rose on the third day.



“My Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross...that I might draw all men unto me.” (3 Ne. 27:14).

When the adversities of life bear upon us, we must not seek a superficial refuge. There are limits to what the world can offer us. What cannot repair itself requires a Redeemer to correct.



With arms open wide, His invitation is extended to all. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).



Because of the love of our Savior, isn't it nice to know that our bodies can be replenished and our innocence restored?



How I wish I could keep my boys unspotted from the world. Yet in all quests to master a skill or develop a talent, we learn through trial and error. We often stumble or take a misstep, but regain our footing through the power of the Atonement. I hope my children will continue to emulate our Savior's example by increasing “in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.” (Luke 2:52.)



At times, staying the course of perseverance may make us feel inadequate or question our purpose. In our struggle for perfection, may we remember the lighthearted side of the journey. Xavier kindly reminds me that as we are striving to put our best foot forward we might have to hold our smiles...



or put all our pucker into a kiss...



or take the time to unwrap a hidden gift.



As we rejoice in the miracle of the Atonement, and as we savor the special moments of the season, may we join in the celebratory chorus of the earth: “Let the mountains shout for joy, and all ye valleys cry aloud; and all ye seas and dry lands tell the wonders of your King!...And let the eternal creations declare his name forever and ever! And again I say, how glorious is the voice we hear from heaven, proclaiming in our ears, glory, and salvation, and honor, and immortality, and eternal life...” (D&C 128:23).

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I think Xavier bears a real resemblance to Gabe. Do you see it?