Hunting Easter eggs is one springtime tradition that promises to bring families together. Kids of all ages revel in the excitement as they not only search for the sweetest of holiday treasures, but strengthen friendships with their cousins as they work together on the infamous bunny trail. Grandpa Skip, who has 26 grandchildren with one more on the way, enjoys hosting these outdoor excursions for his favorite young people, whether prospecting in the forest, on the lake, or in the comfort of his backyard.
My sister Angie and I helped the Skipper organize his egg hunt, bonfire, and weinie roast on the 23rd of April, one day prior to Easter. Angie dutifully filled 220 eggs with an assortment of foil-covered chocolates, juicy sweet jellybeans and brightly spotted robin's eggs, while I coordinated the vast array of salads, sides, and scrumptious spring treats.

Being the excellent party planners we are, Angie and I leave no detail to chance, including our wardrobe. Would you believe that this gray and crimson coordinated ensemble occurred without one mention of our favorite hometown team? Great minds really do think alike. Beyond mention of our speech patterns, mannerisms and breaths between belly laughs, we are in sync on so many levels it is scary.
While Angie and I were assisting the Easter Bunny with his egg detail, Thaus was entertaining the little ones from the comfort of Grandpa and Grandma's soft and cozy couch. As you know, preparations for any big event require mental concentration and stamina so Xavier, Brayden, and Emerson snuggled in to get a few strategic lessons from Tom and Jerry while conserving their pre-game energy. When Xavier was asked to smile for the camera, Calvin snuck in to pose in his stead. You never know when Calvin will show up but you always know when he does, mischief is sure to follow.

Photographing a large group of children often requires advanced skill in the laws of physics. While one child is smiling, you can rest assured that another is in equaled opposition. Christian was so excited to get a head start that he took off running as soon as his feet hit the pavement. For Xavier, the race was off to a slow start as he insisted on inspecting each egg before he would lay it in his basket. Kids were scattering in wild frenzy all around him, yet he took the time to appreciate each one of his treasures. Usually, I would applaud such acts of patience and gratitude, especially in children, but I was inwardly stewing over Grammy's attempt to begin the race early. The thrill of the hunt is apparently just as strong in 85 year olds as it is in 5 year olds, but a lot more risky when three foot inclines are involved. Poor Grammy. She only wanted to help Xavier because she didn't feel he was moving quickly enough. As two of my brothers-in-law were tending to her, I encouraged Xavier to collect his eggs at an expedited pace. As I mentioned earlier, Xavier's appreciation of each egg made me grateful there was a ten egg limit per child and that I could talk him into expanding his blue-only wish list to include green, orange and purple. Oh yeah, blue is the ruling color at our house. Have I mentioned Xavier reminds me daily that I am making him a blue birthday and that he is going to be a blue Batman for Halloween? I have no idea how any child of mine could be this particular and obsessive, do you?

As Xavier held tightly to his first captured egg, I stood in awe of the charm shining through his countenance. It warms my heart that one simple gift can bring such light to a child's eyes. I often wonder how to keep this feeling alive for him, how to make it last through the years to come, how to keep him beholden to the magic of holidays sweet and bright. As I give thanks for all the many gifts bestowed upon me this Spring season, may Easter blessings continue to shower upon us all as we not only celebrate Mother Earth's gift of budding life but of our Savior's atoning gift of eternal life.
3 comments:
Very cute. I love the pic of the boys asleep on Thaus.
Wow I can't believe how fast that family is growing, 26 grandkids!
X sure was happy with his egg, now had they been transformers maybe his feet would of been moving a little faster:)
So cute!!! Looks like a lot of fun!! You and Angie look so much alike... weird, right... cause your SISTERS!! ;)
Post a Comment