A counselor stood at the pulpit and invited the men to come forward. Circling around a miracle and standing shoulder to shoulder, a name was given, a blessing pronounced, and a baby presented to the congregation. Testimonies were born and joy prevailed on the first Sunday in May.
The joy that Emerson brings to our family cannot be likened to any earthly experience. Since I am unable to express such feeling in my own words, may I present the poetry of another:
"They are idols of hearts and of household!
They are angels of God in disguise;
The sunlight still sleeps in their tresses,
His glory still gleams in their eyes."
Charles M. Dickinson
Five things I adore about Emerson:
1. His red hair
2. His sparkling blue eyes
3. His infectious laugh
4. The way he looks for me in a crowd
5. That he reminds me of my father
Part of the joy in celebrating a blessing is having family to share it with. These are some of the faces I love:

Check out Bennett Barker in the middle right frame. As an understudy for Disney, don't be surprised to see him standing in for Lightning McQueen in the soon-to-be-written Cars 3!
When not hobknobbing with animated stars and children of distinction, a girl does well to surround herself with good friends, music and literature. In the story of my own life, I am fortunate to be sandwiched between a generation of past experience and a generation of hope for the future. In the words of my friend Sheral, I have "matching bookends!"
Who knew that announcing Emerson's blessing on Facebook would capture the attention of GOP aristocrats? Although I was hoping for a visit from a former Texas governor, the grace of Donald Trump always works in a pinch.
After-blessing parties are a lot of work for mothers. Fortunately, Emerson remained in good humor, smiling for the camera and cooing for the ladies.

Unfortunately, even the best of party planners aren't able to prepare for toddler tension. As you can see, Xavier was less than happy about the disorganized order of play. He called me into his room, his head lowered in sadness and frustration. With a quiver in his voice he held his hands to either side and cried, "Look at this mess! I told them my mommy had just cleaned it but they keep getting toys out." With a reassuring hug and spoken words of comfort, I promised my little soldier that everything would be alright. This is where the guilt sets in that my germaphobic, overly choreographed way of life may be impairing my son's ability to play with others free from anxiety-induced dominion.
But alas, the party must go on. And as every good hostess knows, no party is complete without a chef and a steward.

Utah's own "Kiss the Grits" gourmet made the most scrumdiddlyitious lemon poppyseed bundts. If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, make out with one of these. Imagine yourself and lemon bundt running through a sun-soaked meadow, wildflowers billowing in the breeze, hand in hand, or hand in mouth. Seriously, they are that delicious. And let's not forget the amazing stylings of Pablo Picasso Barker, our gracious and stunning steward, modeling the beautiful dollar store chinaware. If you have occasion to run into Pablo, please don't mention that the plate was upside down. We haven't made it that far in our training yet and he feels a lot of pressure working with such a dynamic group of women.
After the cake was served and the punch replenished, we posed with the guest of honor for a portrait of the family.
And what makes our family so special, you may ask? Aside from our crooked smiles and sticky cheeks, it's true we don't always have it together, but we are always striving to achieve the ideal. As my family has grown in number from 2 to 3 and now 4, I have learned that the wonders of God can be seen through the eyes of an infant, and the blessings of heaven are showered upon the homes in which they live. Regardless of the tempests that rage on the outside, the foundation remains firm. I am reminded of the words of E.T. Sullivan, "The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies."
And my little Emerson is a force to be reckoned with. You are a welcomed addition to our family, my sweet baby boy!
4 comments:
They truly are a force to be reckoned with. You are an amazing mother and a gracious hostess. X is such a good little boy. How sweet of him to want to keep his room clean for his mom. Thank you for giving me a "lift" today. It is just what I needed. You have such a sweet little family.
Oh he is so cute. (But right now all I can think about is the lemon mini bundt cakes!)
I need to make more of those bundts! I could use a vat of lemon frosting right about now.
Beautifully written. Your family is just beautiful and I love the pictures.
Also, I actually want to make out with those lemon bundts. Wowza.
Post a Comment