A song is no song 'til you sing it,
And love in your heart
Wasn’t put there to stay -
Love isn’t love
'Til you give it away.
~Oscar Hammerstein, "You Are Sixteen" from the Sound of Music
In the Wasatch Mountains of Utah, a Mountain Bell blossom and a warblar's windswept melody are not the only gifts of Spring. When the gray rolls away and the skies turn blue, Mother Nature's tiny seeds not only scatter among the earth but find their way into a young man's heart.
***
Weeds. They are the bane of my existence. No sooner than I pull one do I find another to take its place. Sometimes I wonder why I expend so much effort because I know of their imminent return. But then I realize the beauty that stems from their removal. When the weeds are gone, the flowers are free to flourish; when the weeds are left to their vices, they overtake and suffocate the delicate blossoms. In case you are wondering, this story isn't about weeds. I just wanted you to know how much I hate them.
A few weeks ago, prior to Easter and Emerson's blessing, I was determined to remove all the dandelions and misplaced grass seedlings from my rock beds. Heavy amounts of precipitation encouraged them to spread their roots and escape their netted boundaries. When a ray of sunshine broke through the rain and lingering snow showers, I took the opportunity to tackle the viney offenders. As I was wrestling them from their foundations, splitting my thumbs and forefingers open, Xavier was wrestling with a spark of friendship fluttering in his heart. Xavier has a friend and occasional playmate, Auna, who often chases him around the yard while he squeals in pitchy delight. It comes as no surprise to me that men enjoy being chased by women, yet I think Xavier especially likes Auna because she is big enough to drive him around as they cruise in the classic style of his battery-operated corvette.
On this particular day, X's grandmother had gifted him two helium filled balloons, one traditional blue and one pink heart. Xavier, who is seven or eight years Auna's junior, asked if he could share his heart with Auna, yet he was unsure of how to approach her. Since the fledging emotions of a young man are tender, these things require the discerning guidance of a father. So off went the two on an adventure, rehearsing lines and greetings, and sharing a moment of brotherhood as only a father and son can do.

Warmed by the exhilaration on Xavier's face, I chuckle to think this will be the first of many times he will wait on a woman. It is interesting how the anticipation of waiting wanes throughout the years. I must remember to show him this picture to remind him of what a privilege it is.
And so it begins...the miscommunication between a woman and a man. When Auna asked for a high five to show her gratitude, Xavier did not extend the hand of friendship but raised his arms to either side. Why is it when men find the courage to share their feelings, their power of reasoning disconnects from all bodily processes? But how sweet and innocent my young Xavier is. Armed with valor and a crooked smile, his only wish was to brighten a friend's day with the gift of a helium filled heart.
2 comments:
What a sweetheart X is, already melting the ladies hearts! I love how you captured it with pictures.
What a lady's man! Nice job, X!
Post a Comment