Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Blessing Of A New Year

Many people look forward to the beginning of a new year. It's a time to forget the troubles of the past, set goals for the future and look forward to new experiences in hope and faith. As I sit here on this first evening of 2012, I marvel at how quickly time passes and how life's experiences prepare us for new challenges and growth on the bumpy road to self-discovery and -improvement.

This time last year I was expecting a new baby. I can hardy believe that my little boy will be one in a few short weeks and I cannot even remember what my life was like before he joined our family. How he has blessed me as a mother and helped me gain wisdom are more than I can express in words, yet I am thankful and grateful for the two little boys that expand my horizons and grant me perspective I could never comprehend before becoming a mother.

Each year, I get excited to set goals and make changes that I believe will increase my self-mastery and bring me happiness. I think about whittling my waist to a smaller size, tackling the tower of unread novels on my nightstand, running a more efficient home and becoming more invaluable in the workplace. But this year, these goals are taking a back seat to a more challenging feat, preparing two young men for their missions in life, helping them discover their talents and living up to my very special privilege of being their mother.

Aside from the birth of a new baby, I wholeheartedly believe that women can be the greatest forces in nature. Endowed as daughters of a loving Heavenly Father, women have the power to not only do good, but to cherish virtue and nurture the leaders of future generations. There is never anything as praiseworthy as a woman who understands her role within the home and refrains from letting the world convince her that she is less of a woman because she commands lunch time lessons with toddlers instead of power lunches with titans.

As a woman who balances outside employment with rearing children at home, I admit I have struggled with the distractions of the world. I have compared myself to others and have fallen short when it comes to physical appearance, economic prosperity and social standing within the community. I am a woman who holds few titles and even fewer engagements on my social calendar; I am far from having it all and freely declare I have neither the skills nor the stamina to chase it all. From where I'm standing, I often hear the world telling women that if we are good enough, or try hard enough, we can have that all our hearts desire. If we sacrifice, if we make ourselves busy, if we prove our worth at home, at work and in the community, then we will be able to achieve a perceived ideal and win the race to some unknown destination. In my own worry that I am not doing enough, I end up doing too much hoping I will find balance in perfection. And although I wouldn't mind being perfect in all my endeavors, trying to accomplish everything comes at a price. The truth is, that amongst all we are faced with and all the opportunities that are provided us, we must make choices in life and we cannot establish a residence in Zion if we are pruning a garden in Babylon.

I am often reminded of the scripture in the book of Matthew that instructs us, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." This very morning in a church meeting, these words impressed my mind as we discussed the roles of women in relief organizations. After pondering the insights that were shared, I reflected upon the condition of my own heart: How can I become an instrument for good and protect the treasures I have been given? How can I avoid the pitfalls of competition and become focused on the things of eternal importance? How can I become determined to scale the summits of life in spite of feeling frumpy, aged and less-than-worthy in all my labors?

My four-year old, who often wears super hero attire beneath his clothing, ('cause you never know when you'll need to make a quick change to save another), wraps his arms around my waist and tells me how much he loves me. He doesn't care that I am slightly overweight, boast an imperfect smile and have gray roots aging my appearance. He doesn't notice that our house falls victim to a recurrent tornado and that macaroni and cheese will be the fanciest entree gracing his dinner plate this week. He only notices that I have time to read him stories, participate in super hero adventures and wipe away his tears when he is sad. It isn't a glamorous life and it's often quite noisy, yet I am thankful for it each and every day.

Xavier wearing his Super Friends socks and Green Lantern, a.k.a. CTR, ring.

Last night, before I fell comatose to a dose of cold medicine, I enjoyed a home-cooked meal and conversation with old friends. We laughed and shared stories and for a brief moment, I forgot about the to-do list that was pressing on my mind earlier in the day.



As Xavier's commands of "Watch me!" dominated the airwaves in ten second intervals, I obeyed his instructions with enthusiasm while he entertained us with his fancy flying skills. Emerson and Owen, immersed in a tub of Little People toys, found their conversation inside the tub more fascinating than the contents tossed to the side.



While we visited and enjoyed each other's company, I was reminded of the joys that come from living a simple life and how blessed I am to connect with such a dynamic group of people, even amidst our follies. I pray that as I grow and learn throughout this year, I will always be mindful of my purpose and how I can become a better mother to my two young sons. May we all remember the words of the late Ezra Taft Benson, "A child needs a mother more than all the things money can buy. Spending time with your children is the greatest gift of all." As I treasure the days I spent with my own mother and honor the life lessons she imparted to me, may we rejoice in the dawn of a new year and the privilege we have to be mothers. Let the sticky messes, spilled mishaps and sweet memories commence...

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Thanks for the reminders of what is really important!

Kris said...

Thanks for this post Erika! I love being a mother more than anything and often times I feel like I'm failing for not being that "super mom" and your words were a great reminder that it's the time we spend and the love we give that's most important to our children.

You have a true gift of writing!