It's cold out there, friends. And what better way to chase away winter's chill than to cuddle up with your favorite blankie, sip a mug of steaming hot cocoa and watch a Hallmark movie about love in the afternoon. Oh wait...that's what I would do on a cold and snowy winter's day. My four-year old, Xavier, has other ideas about welcoming the return of Old Man Winter. Instead of ignoring winter's knock on the front door, X thought we should venture out into the newly fallen snow and build a family for Frosty. Although I love the outdoors and the beauty of our alpine residence, I am not a lover of being cold and wet. After distracting him with A Charlie Brown Valentine long enough to squeeze in some treadmill time, I gave in to his pleas for outdoor adventure and began the hunt for the elusive pants, hats, boots and gloves that keep disappearing in our home's nooks and crannies, leaving their matching counterparts in places unknown.
Fortunately for me, Grammy volunteered to help Xavier with his creative project allowing me a short reprieve within the confines of warmth and dryness. I went about my household chores for a few minutes before grabbing a pair of sneakers, wrapping up in my husband's over-sized jacket and braving the arctic blast that made my nose run and my eyes tear with sadness. Yesterday, it was a sunny 55° in the Beehive State, yet there isn't a trace of spring left beneath our mantle of snowy white.
With the snow being so soft and smooth, hence the state's nickname of the "World's Best Powder", Grammy and Xavier had a difficult time forming a proportionate-looking snowperson. Xavier gave up on trying to model a round base and began tossing snowballs at his totem pole and one at his grandmother, a mistake he will not likely repeat in the near future. Grammy is all for fun and games, but you have to play according to her rules and they are subject to change without warning. Xavier even threw a handful of the wet stuff at me while I was taking pictures, and after the scolding I gave him about proper treatment of my expensive camera, I doubt he will invite either of us on his winter adventures any time soon.
Emerson, strapped in his high chair for a bird's eye view, was left to watch the festivities behind the protection of the bay window. Xavier pelted the glass with handfuls of snow, eliciting exuberant squeals and exclamations of joy. Perhaps next year the boys can throw snowballs at each other without the glass barrier, allowing the real entertainment to begin. For now, we'll let Xavier aim towards the house and the neighbor's pesky cats, in hopes of loosening up his arm and perfecting his throw for the start of tee ball season.
Anyone who lives amid the Wasatch Mountains will agree that Jack Frost can nip at your nose faster than Clark Griswold can fly downhill on a waxed sled, convincing Grammy and X to call it quits after twenty minutes in the cold. Upon removing his layers of wet, soggy clothing, Xavier insisted we make hot "chalk-o-let" with marshmallows to commence the thawing out phase. We all know I am never one to turn down a treat and encourage any activity that ends with a tall mug of cocoa latte.
With Xavier's help filling the contents of the mixer, I smiled that we were blessed with such a great opportunity for quality family time. Even though we sometimes complain about the cold, regardless of whether we're snuggling on the couch or exploring the great outdoors, I guess it only takes a little snow in the afternoon to warm our hearts with gladness and fill our bellies with the good stuff, a healthy dose of love with a sprinkling of chocolate and marshmallows.



1 comment:
I love that Gram went out to play too!
Post a Comment