Ever wonder where the Asylum gets it name? From daily conversations like this one:
Gram: Why aren't you at work today?
Me: Today is a holiday. It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Gram shakes her head in acknowledgment.
A few minutes later...
Gram: I thought St. Patrick's Day is in March.
Me: It is in March.
Gram: So there's no holiday in January.
Me: There isn't?
Gram: No...well, except for New Years.
Me: What about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? Also known as Civil Rights Day?
Gram: We didn't have that holiday when I was in school.
Me: That's because you went to school in the '30s. Martin Luther King, Jr. is from the '60s. The holiday began in the '80s.
Gram smiles and nods her head in approval (which means she has no idea what I'm talking about).
A few hours later...
Me: Gram, do you know who Martin Luther King, Jr. is?
Gram (trying not to be offended): Do I what?!
Me: Do you know who Martin Luther King, Jr. is?
Gram: Say that last part again.
Me (slowly and with great enunciation): Martin-Luther-King-Jr. Do you know who he is?
Gram: No.
Me: He's the reason we have a holiday today.
Gram (smiling again): Oh, Martin Luther!
Me: Who is he, Gram?
Gram: I don't know. I never really paid attention.
And there you have it, folks. Lines of conversation 365 days a year in the Asylum.
No comments:
Post a Comment