Emerson loves water. Every chance he gets, he dives right in, splashing all around and foraging face first for his non-floating pacifier. He kicks, "swims" and slides to and fro, exploring every inch of shallow ocean that five feet will allow him. Bath time brings him so much joy, yet I fear he may be lingering too long within the basin's warm and soothing waters, for his hair has been growing longer, revealing avian-like attributes. It is growing so long, in fact, that he's beginning to sport a duck tail.
On the evening of January 12, I convinced Mr. T to break out his electric clippers and give Emerson his first official haircut. Since Emerson had never experienced the buzzing of a clipper or the feel of stainless steel in his hair, I knew we would need reinforcements. As I went on the hunt for a couple of Dum Dum pops, in hopes of successfully distracting him, he made himself at home drooling on a trimmer attachment and my very favorite comb.
While I was searching through the Dum Dum stash for the right shade of blue for Xavier, (F.Y.I. dark blueberry is completely unacceptable), Mr. T went straight to work shaving a year's worth of growth off my baby's tender head. I had given Mr. T strict instructions on how I wanted the cut to look, authoritatively telling him that all sides needed to be even with the option for "spike-ability" on top. Mr. T promptly informed me that Emerson's baby fine hair would not support such preppy couture, so I had to settle for an all-over buzz, the only cut Mr. T knows how to do anyway.
Emerson did not make a peep of resistance as he clung to his raspberry heaven, enjoying every lick of its mouthwatering flavor. Hair was falling all around him, yet he didn't seem to notice as long as the stick remained firmly in his hand. Mr. T trimmed the edges, leaving me what he could for a little spike, the only hair style I know how to do. And as fast as it began, Emerson's first haircut came to an end, revealing a happy and handsome little man.
Emerson, still clinging tightly to his treat, looks ready for the runway with his super cool haircut and eye-enhancing blue shirt. As he is a fan of the ladies, and apparently only dates models, (see exclamation on shirt), perhaps I should have worried less about taming his strawberry blonde feathers, for now I have a real lady killer on my hands!
P.S. Emerson continued his love affair with the lollipop through his follow-up bath time activity. He cried when his stick had nothing more to give, for it's never any fun when the sweetness is done.



No comments:
Post a Comment