Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nobody Does It Better

I bet you are all wondering what the good people of Spanish Fork do to celebrate the holidays. As a town of 45,000 residents, we aren't easily confused with Rockefeller Center in New York City. We aren't associated with the Winter Festival in Niagara or even mentioned in the same sentence when compared to upscale Temple Square luminosity. However, amid the cow pastures and fields of southeastern Utah County, you will find a town-inspired light display nestled on a snowy Nebo mountain bench. Complete with dancing polar bears, Santa hat donning sea creatures, and horse spurring western cowboys, the Festival of Lights has become the attraction of the year. The line to enter the glowing city park backs up to the highway, and even though the winter winds cascade through the canyon ridge, you will see children of all ages hanging out windows and sun roofs just to catch a glimpse of Santa's eclectic entourage.

On the eve of Christmas, the Amonetts shared a family dinner at Winger's and then proceeded to the town's lighting display. Our town may be small in stature, yet every time I attend a local event, I am reminded of similar town activities portrayed in 19th century renderings from Laura Ingalls Wilder and Janette Oke. The years and location may be far dispersed, but I imagine the excitement is similarly tangible. Having pride in town events fosters a sense of unity. It is a great time for friendship and camaraderie.

Here a few highlights of this year's offerings:







After attending both lighting displays in Salt Lake City and Spanish Fork, Gram says she prefers the hometown creation best. Why, you may ask? We aren't completely sure, but I bet it has something to do with a handsome tour guide and a powerful seat warming button within her pretty little finger's reach.

I imagine Christmas Eve adventures such as this one will transform into a new Amonett family tradition. Hot wings chased with cool artic exploration. What could be better?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those pics all turned out really good. Very pretty! :)