Friday, April 16, 2010

Dreams

I have got to stop wearing so many layers of clothing to bed. It is now mid-April and I am still wearing my flannel jammie pants. I am always cold; I hate being cold; I will do anything to prevent the remote possibility warmth will evade my body and its extremities. Problems arise due to my abnormal fear of temperature control; I react by overcompensating in clothing and blankets. While I am sleeping beneath layers of sheets and down comforters in 72 degree weather, I overheat. When I overheat, I sweat. I also have psychotic dreams.

This week I am having dreams about running. I am a runner; I enjoy running. It should not be unusually strange that I would dream about running. However, when I awoke from a particularly disturbing dream this morning, I laid in bed for a half hour thinking about the significance of my subliminally athletic journey.

I was standing in a park with my husband and son. I said a quick "see you later" to them and began running down a path. I could clearly see the path ahead of me. It was a beautiful spring evening; the sun was shining and warming my skin. Birds were singing; I was invigorated by the natural sights and smells surrounding me. A couple minutes into my run, I caught visual of an indigent hiding in the bushes. He looked a little wonky, yet I kept running while trying to maintain contact through my peripheral. I turned my head to make sure he wasn't coming after me. He was changing his shirt and the bags of his belongings were still strewn about him. I was fearful of him, yet he acted as if he had not noticed me. With a sense of relief calming my bowels, I pressed forward.

The second obstacle in my path appeared. It was a tree in full bloom, yet the branches were hanging low, dangerously low. I had to stop and practically crawl beneath the tentacle-like limbs because they would not allow me to pass in an upright position. I was treading carefully, attempting to push the lowest limbs up an inch or two, when a car pulled to a stop immediately beside me. Again, a feeling of panic crashed my gastrointestinal tract. Why is this person stopping? As the female driver emerged from her car, she was holding an opened flip style cell phone. I was cautious. What does she want from me? A sweet voice interrupted my thoughts and asked me for directions. Fortunately for the both of us, I am quite familiar with the grid system and sustained no difficulty in successfully pointing her in the right direction. Whew! Crisis averted.

I went back to my tango with the low-riding tree and eventually returned to my former upright position. I began to run and found myself entering an unfamiliar neighborhood. The beautiful sunlight, which I was enjoying five minutes earlier, disappeared. Immediately, darkness enshrouded me and the night sky. Crap. What direction should I go? Should I turn around and try to find my way back or should I press forward, not knowing the direction I am heading, yet hoping I will find my ending destination successfully?

Without hesitation, I continued on my rocky path. I ran through backyards, side yards, and open yards, swiftly dodging fence lines and keeping an eye out for four-legged protectors. As soon as I began to worry about canine company, several of them appeared and ensued upon a spirited chase of me. I was encircled by these mutts and all their barking. I stopped and picked up a slobbery ball that one of them dropped at my ankle. I threw it as far as I could, hoping the stupid little buggers would instinctively go after it. Yes, it worked! But peace was mine only for a moment. I surprised myself by agilely continuing my run while juggling that slobbery ball. I was throwing and running, running and throwing. Eventually, I arrived on a street in which people were hanging out on their porches. I wanted to borrow a phone to call my husband, yet these people, who were gawking at me, did not appear friendly. (They reminded me a little of the people I picture when I think about the great and spacious building in Lehi's dream.) I continued my pace and came to a house in which the living room lights were streaming through the front windows, yet I could detect no movement beyond the curtained veil. As I was debating an approach to the seemingly welcoming front door, a car with extremely bright lights appeared and parked on the street directly in front of me. Three giggly females dressed in professional athletic attire emerged from their car. I recall their clothing reminded me of Olympian style warm-up suits. Since they were donning the colors of our country and possessed that "All American Girl Next Door" appeal, I interrupted their giggle fest. I explained my situation and asked permission to use their house phone. They kindly invited me in. You might imagine my surprise when I encountered a collegiate party in full swing. I found my way to the phone and dialed the seven most familiar digits in my memory. I guess Thaus had been out searching for me, for seconds later Xavier blew threw the front door and ran right to me before I could finish the call. He was pleased with his super sleuthing skills and securely fastened his arms around my right leg. Xavier had an immediate calming effect upon me as I was once again saved by a person a third of my size. I exited the house with my little boy and greeted my husband. I am not sure if that was the final moment of my dream, but I do not remember anything following our reunion. Perhaps my psyche was alluding to the fact that although my journey changed in scenery and intensity, my starting point and destination were one in the same.

Things I have learned from this dream:
1. I really do love running. Running might be the only activity which allows me a sense of freedom.
2. I have high anxiety. I am fearful of things which might jump out and grab me...day or night.
3. I sometimes hesitate when obstacles are placed in my path, yet I move forward regardless. Sometimes, I walk through these obstacles. Other times I crawl. And yet, there are times which require me to run and juggle simultaneously.
4. I judge people by their covers.
5. Consequently, if you wear red, white, and blue in the same ensemble, I assume you are a patriotic American and therefore worthy of my attention and trust.
6. Blasphemous statement as it may be, I feel as if I carry the burden of my trials alone.
7. Xavier saves me...and reminds me that I am not lost...perhaps just misguided from time to time.
8. After 17 years in Utah, I understand the grid system and enjoy helping others, even amidst my own struggles.
9. However, I am initially bothered by interruptions and diversions from my course.
10. I know my husband will pick me up. It may take him a while to catch up with me, yet I realize that not everyone enjoys running, or keeping up with my pace.
11. I am seriously demented. I just spent 30 minutes analyzing a dream.
12. I need to invest in light cotton or wicking material, including sheets and pjs. If I am going to exercise in my sleep, I should learn to dress for it.
And bonus point #13 - Although equally exhausting, running in dreams does not shed excess calories.

And there you have it, friends. The temperature-induced philosophies of a girl on the run who could seriously benefit from a change in wardrobe. JCP, here I come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is hilarious. I love that you totally analyzed your dream exactly. You did miss one point, though. The fact that you could run and throw a slobbery ball, means you miss your Vealer's days = childhood is calling. :)