Monday, April 26, 2010

Forget Walking A Mile In Dad's Shoes...I'm Gonna Roll!

Xavier is a jumper...and a diver...and will skyrocket from any surface taller than himself, stationary or not. He lights up when he eyes a ball, bat, or club; when not using these items as weapons of destruction, he is running, kicking, and sliding with them. He wants to be where the action is; if there is none going on around him, he will create his own.

I, on the other hand, possess zero athletic ability. I cannot walk without the aid of people on either side of me corralling me through hallways and walkways. I would not be able to score a basket if a 6'7" player was personally holding me up to the rim. (Don't believe me? I get a little nervous when someone is walking on the wrong side of the hallway 'cause I don't know if my reaction time will be quick enough to allow for corrections in my course. Don't even get me started on freeway construction zones and their haphazard lane lines...is that the new line or old line? Am I in one lane or straddling two lanes? Ay, caramba! )

Conversely, Xavier's father enjoys sports. He even played a few back in his glory days. However, his rendition of the events play out as if he was a first-string benchwarmer rather than a first-string starter.

Over the past several months, Xavier has been "wowing" us with his agility, strength, and skillful aerodynamics. He has even taught himself how to perform somersaults on the trampoline. After we recover from our initial shock, Thaus and I often wonder aloud where Xavier's natural athleticism comes from. The only reasonable conclusion I can muster is that Grandpa Skip's "jock" gene, which is eternally dormant in my blood, has strategically passed through me and awakened to new life in our little daredevil.

Friday night, Xavier discovered Thaus' size 10 rollerblades. With the assistance of his daddy, he laced them and padded important areas such as his knees and head. After a quick introductory lesson, Xavier was off and rolling about the living room carpet. He was so pleased with himself. Amid his squeals and wide-eyed belly laughs, he would lift his right arm above his head and yell, "Charge!" After a few turns around the living room, he felt brave enough to venture onto the hardwood floors. He fell a few times, but I must say we were quite impressed with his overall balance. I am amazed by little people and their adventurous and fearless spirits; when they fall down, they pick themselves up and take another spin. My ego bruises more easily and the distance to the ground seems much further from where I am standing. Aside from my laughable grace, there is an important lesson in all of this for me. Perhaps I should follow Xavier's example and lift my own arm above my head. Watch out world, Momma is ready to charge!



P.S. Get the ibuprofen ready. Momma is gonna need it!

6 comments:

The Brewer Babies! said...

OMG! That is priceless. I can see it on his senior poster board now! And LMC would be totally jello of the PJ's. He loves T-ains, as he says. Adorable!

The Brewer Babies! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
discombobulated said...

So dang cute that boy is!

Anonymous said...

Christian is just like that--no fear. I'm afraid I have worried my other 2 so much that they try to be too careful.

ang said...

ha ha rollerblades!!! i am impressed though!

Unknown said...

How cute!!! :)