Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sentimental Wind

The sentimental winds are blowing and regardless of how I try to stand downwind from them, they manage to smack me upside the heart every April 7th. My reaction to them varies from year to year, and on this particular day they seem to have sparked a mixed reaction of nostalgia and pensiveness. Today's calendar marks my mother's 61st birthday, and part of me can hardly believe I have not been able to hug her or hear her voice in fourteen years.

I was sifting through some old photos late into the hours of the night yesterday. Some of them made me smile, some of them made me cringe, and some of them made me homesick for the days of my youth and the muggy summers we spent forging relationships in our backyard swimming pool. I can now say I treasure the years I spent beneath my mother's watchful eye; she embarrassed me in public at the most inopportune times, yet she was an excellent teacher in all things spiritual and temporal, and I delighted in igniting that dynamic Portugee spirit of hers. She was a firecracker through and through, and even with her fiery spirit she was compassionate and gentle with even the smallest of God's creatures.


Kathy was a little person with a vibrant personality. This is a picture of her graduation from St. Luke's nursing school.

Sometimes, I think about the adventures we would experience if she were still here. I imagine how she would be spoiling her grandchildren with her signature snack of potato chips and ice cream, how she would be laughing at my dad's corny jokes (and still trying to break him of his redneck ways), and how she would be counseling us girls on the finer points of motherhood. We would do all the fun things mothers and daughters get to do together, continuing to cultivate an enduring and endearing relationship.

Even though I do not get to pop in on her or call only to say hello, I know we are strengthening our relationship through service and teaching opportunities. I hope she is having a fabulous day and enjoying some sweet treats. Happy birthday, Mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same! I miss my mommy! And I really miss our girl days--I hope all girls who still have moms around appreciate every second with them.

The Brewer Babies! said...

14 years! Can not believe it has been that long. She made such wonderful daughters!!!!!

Holly said...

My daughter's birthday is also April 7th. I remember when you told me your mom had passed away. I can't believe it's been that long. Wish I could give you a big hug.