Thursday, October 30, 2008

Farewell, Friends










I wish that the inevitable outcomes of life were not so...inevitable. Every experience we have, every relationship we develop leaves an imprint upon us and helps us to realize who we are truly meant to be as people. I remember the day we brought home Mason and shortly thereafter, Alex. They were instantly the best of friends and a central part of our family. We have so much enjoyed them over the past eleven years and will miss them greatly. After much thought and heavy hearts, we decided it was only humane to euthanize them so they would not have to endure another harsh winter with their health difficulties. It was coincidental that my sister Andi had to euthanize her beloved horse Dusty today as well. Dusty had developed a lame leg and was in much pain. I have had to remind myself that as difficult as it is to say goodbye to our friends, change often helps us discover reservoirs of strength that often go unnoticed in our lives. As a result, we may have increased compassion for others and in turn, develop stronger ties of family unity. Plus, I believe that knowledge of eternal consequence brings hope. What a blessing we have in hope for the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall miss my 2 buddies, Mason and Ali. I will not miss the slobber, but I will truly miss their cute, fuzzy faces.

ANK said...

Hugs to you and your family. We lost our lab earlier this year.