Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cupcakes 'N' Crackers

July was hot. Chart-topping record hot. With 100+ degrees plaguing the Utah desert, we knew we were in for a fun and sweaty 24th holiday! Thaus and I adore the heat. We would rather it be 108 degrees any day of the week as opposed to 8 degrees. Why we live in a state that boasts nine months of winter per year is beyond us. But I digress...

You will all be happy to know I earned my title back as Name family event planner for the month of July. Eleven months of the year my sister Angie wears the crown, but when it comes to America's birthday month, I wave my desktop flag in everyone's faces while touting, "Step back! July belongs to Amerika!"

You may recall last year's Pioneer Day holiday did not turn out in my favor. Amidst the gale force canyon winds, rains, and lack of entertainment at the Spanish Fork city ball diamond, my family was a little disappointed in my party planning skills. With detail-oriented Kathy as my mother and mentor in this arena, I should have known better. I will never leave so many variables to chance again. Mother Nature now knows She has to check in with me around the July holidays. It's wonderful basking in the light of power (a.k.a. grand delusion) for four weeks a year.

When the Fiesta Days catalog arrived in my mailbox in early June, I sifted through it to make sure there would not be a repeat of last years fiasco. Rodeo on the 23rd...check. Live bands at the ball diamond on the 24th...check check. Fireworks synchronized to music...triple check. Whew! Everything was falling into place, but in order to satisfy my OCD party planning compulsions, I consulted Spanish Fork's city webpages and called the Main Street offices to ensure there would be real, live people singing and playing music on a center stage. I even asked the Parks and Recreation girl that question. Twice. My pressing inquiry of her made her question her own sanity and if indeed there were going to be real, live people to entertain the good folks of Utah County. I explained my displeasure of last year's oversight and wanted to make certain that miscalculation would never happen again. With the tone of authority in my voice, I am sure she thought I was an important city officer. If not, she should have. Sometimes, I think life would be easier if I could be in charge of more people. I'm just so good at bossing everyone around. It's a divine gift, and one I strive to perfect on a daily basis. No one can say I waste my two talents!

Since Xavier's birthday is only four days after the Pioneer Day holiday and he has no idea when his birth date actually falls, I decided to combine his party with the festivites happening in downtown Spanish Fork. My family was all set for a picnic in the park, entertainment, kiddie games, and fireworks. What better venue to celebrate the third anniversary of my munchkin? And, this would also mean that I would not have to guilt everyone into traveling back to my house for an additional dinner/birthday party the following weekend. Two nights enduring the eclectic mix of southern Utah County hillbillies is enough entertainment to last anyone for weeks. Unless you enjoy that sorta thing...

Thaus, Xavier, and I claimed our parking spot on the west side of the ball diamond at 4:10 p.m. (Notice I didn't mention Gram's name in this sequence. We shipped her off to her sister's house for three weeks of senility-free partying. Jump up and down and slap you booty 'cause Cotton is on the other coast!) Anyway, we were the first ones to arrive on the scene! Sweet! I love getting my choice of prime real estate. We even changed our location a couple of times as we decided that the shade trees were our best option and closest to the cars. Not only did we want to have a proper distance between us and the small-planet sized lawn speakers, we wanted easy access to the cars. It's all in the proximity, people. When planning a family party, take note of every detail. You will be glad you did. Or just get there fashionably late and let Thaus and I take care of the details. We are so neurotic we make the best party planning team. How perfect are we for each other?!

After the initial setup, the three of us settled in for a late lunch. The shade from the flowering pear tree made for an enjoyable setting. Xavier was cranky from not having a nap (see picture below), yet Thaus and I were able to have some couple conversation time while eating our Subway sandwiches. I relish family relaxation time. It doesn't happen enough for the Amonetts. Thaus and I stretch ourselves thin, and by the time we get around to figuring relaxation time into our schedule, we have to attend to other duties. I love that we take advantage of all the community events and celebrations in July. It is the one month we can breathe from our extremely saturated lifestyles.



An hour after we arrived, Angie, Kyle, and the kids joined us. Xavier was still cranky, but at least he had his favorite cousin Sammie to love on him. She makes everything better, especially when she tackles him to the ground for a kiss and shares her snacks with him.



The first band to take the stage was the '60s reincarnate Flashback Brothers. Their flashback wasn't quite how my father remembers the '60s, and his jeers from the northcentral corner of the field probably made them wish they were flashing into a different town. That's the problem with hiring entertainment from Provo. You can get the Beach Boys or Little Cuba's impersonation of the Beach Boys. Cover bands. Yikes!



I am pleased to report the country rock band following the Flashback Brothers, the JD Shepherd Band, was spectacular. I hope they come back again next year as the headlining talent. Perhaps I should consult with the Parks and Recreation girl again in my official capacity...

In between band sets, I gathered the kiddies around to sing Happy Birthday to Xavier. I was worried the frosting on the cupcakes would run into a river of muted colors in the heat, but, once again, Wilton's recipe stood firm under fire. Literally.



Xavier had a hard time grasping the concept that it was his birthday, yet he rather enjoyed being the center of attention for a moment. He was a pro at blowing out his candles.



Gabe's teeth are decorated with sprinkles! And Xavier is giving Aunt Angie the look, "Stop lookin' at me, Swan!" Xavier licked the frosting off of half his cupcake and then handed it back to me so he could run around with the kids. I'm glad I went to so much effort for him.



Aunt Angie made this gorgeous Buzz and Woody quilt to surprise Xavier. X will tie anything resembling a cape around his neck, raise his arms into the air, and exclaim, "To infinity and beyond!" Hmmm, do you think you could take Gram with you there, X?



Sammie, Gabe, and Christian gifted Xavier with a Cars shaving set for toddlers in training. Sammie wasted no time showing Xavier how it is done. She is a mother in training.



Angie's good friend Stacy and her three children joined us for part of the celebration. Stacy is a traveling party in a pint-sized package. Wherever she roams, good times are known to follow.



As many of you may recall, Xavier is terrified of fireworks. As soon as the park lights were dimmed, he began his high-pitched freak out. Usually, I take this opportunity to cuddle him on my lap, but this year he made his father take him to the truck so he could watch the musical explosions behind the safety of the Excursion's tinted windows. I felt badly for Thaus because he only got to witness a couple seconds of the pyrotechnics; he couldn't see or hear much above the firecracker in the car. Oh, our precious little Xavier. What a fiesty little cracker he is...and how we love him!

2 comments:

The Brewer Babies! said...

X is edible! I just want to smoosh him! You look great by the way. I wanna see that belly soon :)

ang said...

happy birthday to little X!! that little frosting licker sounds a lot like D...don't know why i bother making a cake every year.