Xavier's birthday fell on a Wednesday this year, the final Wednesday in July to be exact. I thought it would be fun to introduce him to the swashbuckling world of black flag intrigue, South Seas empires, and a little pirate booty. Pirate Island, a kids' mecca of pizza, prizes, and modern-day odes to plundering pillagers, became the latest pirate refuge to open their doors in August of 2009.
Everything about Pirate Island is as original and captivating as Disney's trillion dollar trifecta. I didn't know what to expect when I opened the castle-style entry gates, but what I wasn't counting on was an immediate meltdown from Xavier and his favorite cousin, Sammie.
***
Thaus was held up at work that evening so I picked up two of Xavier's cousins and headed over to the island. I knew Thaus would try to meet us as soon as he could, so I pumped myself upself mentally to captain this party by my lonesome. How hard could it be to handle three kids for a two-hour birthday party?
Our welcome to the island was quite impressive and also proved quite scary to the youngest two in tow. Upon opening the gates into the darkened entryway, we were greeted with surround sound screams from addled corsairs and a rushing 20 foot waterfall. Although theatrical in nature, the captivating noises were unable to drown out the shrill bursts of protests from my newly crowned three-year old and his four-year old cousin. I believe Sammie was frightened by Xavier's reaction to the Hollywood inspired setting, and I must admit that I was quite a sight as my arms were filled with two crying children and a six-year old tugging at my side, who had no time to wait for his traumatized mateys as he was anxious to experience all that the island had to offer. I sat on the closest bench in the waiting room attempting to calm the fears of the young mates and wondering what I had gotten myself in to. After a few minutes of futility, I exited the building and sat on a stone wall surrounding a flower garden. I thought we would sit and wait pray awhile so the kids could get their bearings.
My silent prayers were answered as my husband's diesel burned rubber through the parking lot twenty minutes later. After a quick "thank heavens you showed up", we attempted the dreaded entryway once again. Xavier was emphatic that we not go inside, as he is not only afraid of darkness and water, he is also apparently not a big fan of animatronic skeletons hanging from the ceiling. Yes, I know what you are thinking. Way to do your research, Mom. Insert applause for Mother of the Year Award.
I left Xavier and Gabe outside with Thaus and grabbed Sammie's hand. I told her to hang on tight and we would run through the scary part. I didn't know what adventures would greet us on the other coast, but I figured the live pirates serving grub in the dining hall couldn't be as intimidating as the dead ones hanging in the entry deck. We put our heads down and ran towards the light, the one in the lantern straight ahead, not the one in the sky...just in case you are wondering.
It took a few minutes for Thaus and the boys to make it to our appointed dining keg. We were marooned in the belly of the schooner, and all the tables were surrounded by what could only be described as oversized three-sided rum barrels. Xavier was still not impressed and continued to scream his face off for a good hour to hour and a half. As I said before, I really know how to throw a lively birthday party!
Feast your eyes on The Kracken! Sammie is swooning over her share of the two-foot wide pizza! I tried to coax the third young member of our motley crew into a group shot, but Gabe was as interested in having his photo taken as he was in the live entertainment. Wednesday nights are acoustic nights at the island, and local singers are able to showcase their talents either a cappella style or with guitar accompaniment. Throughout dinner, Gabe was irritated by the vocal serenades dampening his dining experience. You couldn't help but laugh over the rousing jeers from his corner of the keg: "That noise is making me crazy! Can't we make her stop? I can't eat my pizza!"

The waitress brought X his birthday ice cream in hopes of soothing his tears, but as you can see the kid is completely distraught. So Thaus took the kids to the "Aargh"cade and I sat by myself soothing my own tears with X's ice cream.

Xavier's mood instantly brightened when he followed Gabe from game to game. There is something about throwing balls in nets and shooting big guns that helps boys forget their troubles.

Xavier and Sammie were first class mates aboard the li'l scallywag schooner. They didn't make any of the other guests walk the plank, but they did enjoy the slippery slides into the mermaid sea.

Sammie makes a pretty piratess if you ask me. She shows off two of her game tokens while doing her best impression of a Barbie-like Barbosa. The kids were all smiles after having their fill of soda and trading in their tokens for prizes. Now that I know the piracy value of dum dum lollipops is $30 a piece, I might have to smuggle my own loot into to the treasure chest to trade with the kids.
Instead of venturing the open seas with the pirates next year, I think we'll take our chances on the trout filled waters of the reservoir. Grandpa Skip's boat may not be armed with cannon revelries and the food may be lacking in Italian flare, but at least the drinks are free and you don't need a token to play a game or two. All the mates are friendly upon grandpa's pleasure trips, and every junior pirate gets a chance to steer the ship.
Happy birthday, X!
3 comments:
I love those pics of the kids. I wish I could've gone to keep my kids from being crazy! :)
You ladies have the cutest kids EVER! It is so neat how they have so much fun together. Glad X had a great birthday. Great pictures of him!
This post made me laugh. I love the things we do as parents that we think are kids are going to love and enjoy and they end up REALLY not liking it at all! Hope he had a Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment