Great! Now my posts are going to be out of order again. I was in the middle of recapping the Amonett's Pioneer Day holiday and birthday celebration for Xavier when Saturday's edition of the Daily Herald caught my eye. On the front page was an editorial and photo of four well-groomed women from Lehi, Utah. The women were embraced in a group-style hug with smiles spanning their perfectly rouged cheeks. The caption underneath read, "Big Love For Real." My interest was immediately piqued so I searched harktheherald online to get the full story (click on inset link). I almost wished I wouldn't have. I am feeling all sassy now!
You know the LDS church must be doing much good in the world when the liberal media rears its antagonistic head by exploiting a fundamentalist break-off branch of the LDS Church to distract and confuse non-LDS people. We all know who is behind this. How I wish I could kick him in the shin...if he only had one.
For those of you who believe I have been hitting my head too many times against the faux wood desktop in my office, allow me to reiterate a brief history of polygamy in Utah. Once upon a time, the LDS church practiced polygamy amongst a handful of its members yet renounced the practice of plural marriage in 1890 when Utah joined the union of American states. The Church upheld then and for the past 120 years continues to uphold subjection to the rules and laws of any given land, so church leaders amended their official policy on legal marriage, maintaining that monogamy would be followed without exception. Any member of the church who refused to end the practice of plural marriage would be excommunicated. There were individuals who chose not to embrace the doctrine of the church and the laws of the land; as a result, they were removed from the records of the church. There are currently numerous branches of polygamist groups living in secret (and thanks to investigative news specials, not so secret) compounds throughout the West. Some of these groups refer to themselves as Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints or Fundamentalist Mormons, although the media conveniently forgets to distinguish between the sects. Regardless of what these groups call themselves, I could be no more clear when I affirm fundamentalist organizations have no connection, official or unofficial, with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
I find it interesting that cable television announced a new reality show ("Sister Wives", informally known as "A Man Named Kody, His Insatiable Sex Drive, and the Naive Women Who Reproduce With Him") documenting the lives of Kody Brown and his three, soon to be four, wives on the heels of Judge Walker's decision claiming a ban on same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional in the state of California. I am afraid to ask what is coming our way next. Seriously, TLC, just because there is backwoods inbreeding going on in parts of this country, I see no need to bring it to the forefront. If you sensationalize and promulgate absurdity, you get truck loads of absurdity in return. Even if the original intent is solely to educate the American people on social diversity, the results of sensationalism can be devastating. Look at the tragedy that became of Jon & Kate Plus 8. I understand many are curious about lifestyles differing from that of mainstream America, but there comes a point when perverse curiosity only detracts from society's enlightment. I realize the Brown family is most likely searching for understanding and exception for their unique lifestyle, but do they not know they live in one of the two most conservative states in the union?! I suspect Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff is polishing his badge after this public announcement from TLC. Shurtleff actually prosecutes people who break the law in the state of Utah...and these polygamists want to strut their illegal lifestyle on t.v.? Not the brightest idea anybody ever had...just ask Tom Green.
But then again, if it makes television executives lots of money and if the Utah Film Commission offers tax incentives for filming in the state of Utah, it really doesn't matter, does it? I wonder if TLC would like to create a reality show about a man and a woman who are married only to each other, work two and three jobs to pay their mortgage, worry about saving enough for their kids' educations, care full-time for elderly relatives, volunteer in their communities, serve their neighbors, pay tithes and offerings to religious and charitable institutions, struggle with less-than-sufficient healthcare, yet remain joyful and optimistic about the blessings and trials they experience in day-to-day living while remaining completely self-reliant and independent of the government dole. I imagine not. If there is no profit in celebrating what strengthens and sustains the core of America, then what fun it will be to prick at the unraveling fibers of it.
Friends, I realize I have been on my soapbox for a few days now. I would volunteer to get down, but as I stated in earlier posts, the view is so much clearer from up here! Thanks for tolerating a fiesty old girl. You know you wouldn't have me any other way!
Until we meet again for my next sassy post...
11 comments:
LOL!! I love your Sass!! Did you know that once, while getting my blood drawn during one of my pregnancies (I believe it was with Kyle) the nurse found out I was LDS and asked me if when I disobeyed my husband, did he put me in a sack and beat me. True Story!! Anyway, I also wanted to let you know, if you didn't already, that you can back date your blogs to be in the order you would like. Just when you are done writing it look down in the left hand corner of the text screen (right above publish post) and there is a little link that says post options (or something similar) and you can then change the date and time so that your lovely posts can then be in order you desire! You can even go back and edit posts and change that to rearrange the order. PS right now we have the same background!
I think, as members of the church, we need to remember that what you refer to as "absurdity" (gay marriage and polygamy) others consider as worshiping according to the dictates of their own conscience. According to our 11th article of faith, it's a privilege we believe all men/women are entitled to.
And as members of the Church, lest we forget the 12th Article of Faith: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." We worship according to the dictates of our own conscience, this is true, yet we are obligated to honor and sustain the laws of our land. Gay and plural marriage is ILLEGAL. If a man feels the urge to bed another man, or bed several women, then he will have to reconcile his conscience with his Maker; if he is caught engaging in such practices in the United States of America, he will be prosecuted and possibly jailed. I do not make the rules, jeffwcos, I'm only here to enforce them. Absurd or not, welcome to the asylum. Please visit again.
I saw a preview for this and was completely creeped out! So... so... so... glad I don't get cable or I might be tempted to watch it... be sickened by it and maybe even enjoy it! Ack!
Asylum Inmate wrote: "If a man feels the urge to bed another man, or bed several women, then he will have to reconcile his conscience with his Maker; if he is caught engaging in such practices in the United States of America, he will be prosecuted and possibly jailed."
Actually, the anti-sodomy laws were struck down as un-constitutional long ago. So, a man will not be prosecuted for going to bed with another man. And, plenty of men have sex with multiple women and don't bother to marry any of them. I've never heard of them going to jail for that. Though, I do agree that those men will have to reconcile with God.
You are also incorrect when stating the gay marriage is illegal. It was NOT illegal in the state of California prior to Nov '08. Prop 8 made it illegal. And, for the second time, a judge (this time, a Reagan/Bush appointed judge) declared the prohibition of gay marriage to be unconstitutional.
So, when is it time to subject ourselves to the law, to our constitution (which we often refer to as an inspired document) and allow for marriage equality to all?
And, possibly more important, when do we start allowing others to worship to the dictates of their own consciences as our 11th article of faith dictates?
I am not here to argue with you, jeffwcos, and since you keep your identity hidden, I imagine it makes you feel superior to put a woman in her place. And for the record, I studied family law at BYU in the '90s. In the state of Utah, it is illegal to have sex outside of marriage, regardless of gender. Although no one is ever prosecuted for breaking this law, it is law nonetheless.
P.S. I have never interfered with another human being's agency. I respect the rights of all citizens, even though I disagree with those who financially profit from illegal and immoral activities. I have worked with men, women, and children from all walks of life...spending my time at the Utah State Hospital, taking children into my home who have been abused, offering shelter to the homeless. You know so little about me but feel so free to judge...as is your right. I do not need to explain myself to you or plead my case. The way I live my life is a testament to the beliefs I hold true. I am a goodwill ambassador for the Church and much good comes from the testimony I share with others, both in oral and written communications. If you do not care for how I conduct myself or for my candid editorials, then I suggest we part ways. All the best to you-
I apologize if you felt I was judging you. That was not my intent. Since your blog is open to the public, including your comments section, I assumed you were open to discussing your post.
And, I certainly was not trying to "put a woman in her place".
This issue is an important one to me in terms of our church's teachings and doctrines. My wife and I took a young man into our home this past year because he was suicidal and his family would not accept or even discuss his homosexuality. Like you, I too seek to be an ambassador... hoping that we can have fewer suicidal gay youth in our church.
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your comments and I am always willing to discuss my posts. If enlightenment and understanding result from these discussions, then I feel I am only strengthening myself, both as a writer and as a member of the church.
As I said before, welcome to the asylum. It is a crazy place to visit, yet open to all. God bless.
The First Presidency's counsel is not open for "negotiation". This is a mistake too many church members make. You don't cherry pick which things you want to follow and ignore the rest. No plural marriage--No gay marriage. Period. We will in no way support these "marriages". The church isn't for closing the dialogue for those who are homosexual as they have made many statements trying to help those same people make sense of their lives and find their way, as well as help their parents gain understanding. The church has made themselves very clear on these 2 issues.
Angie,
I understand that our church doctrine currently prohibits plural marriage and gay marriage.
But, does my fervent belief in the gospel and in our living prophet also mean that I must deny my belief in D&C 134:4? Can I not have a testimony of Christ's restored church and still believe in the constitutional right of equality for all? Even if that means legally sanctioned gay marriages?
Why don't you call the prophet and see what he has to say. :)
Post a Comment