***
The summer weather has been dwindling quickly. With cooler temps throughout the days and evenings, Thaus was anxious to take a drive through the canyon so Xavier could have a few summer memories of time spent with his parents instead of waiting in the shadows for us to complete our never-ending "have to, can't wait a minute, we're in a rush, must do" to-do items.
With Thaus' work and school responsibilities bearing down upon him, he was ready for a break. We returned home from church services late in the afternoon and after an early dinner, Thaus rushed to complete the necessary homework and preparation items for Monday so we could take a scenic trip through Spanish Fork canyon or perhaps take a turn on the Nebo Loop. The hour grew late so I suggested we take Xavier for a drive down to Salem Pond, desiring to see his reaction to the water while he engaged the ducks and geese. I must admit I had ulterior motives for wanting to travel the path to the pond. I have been feeling guilty that Xavier's birthday was a month ago and I have yet to capture his three-year pictures. I have been saving a spectacular button down shirt Aunt Angie bought him for his birthday, as I thought it would be an excellent compliment to the pond's natural colors.

Fortunately for us, the pond was quiet when we arrived. A couple of passersby strolled along the wooden plank bridge and then disappeared behind a grove of trees. The geese ran to meet us, honking and snapping their beaks for the stale floured treasures we brought them. Xavier insisted on having pieces of bread in each hand so he could throw twice as much, twice as fast. We got a kick out of his pitcher's wind up as he cranked and twisted his body to get the best trajectory out of his curve balls o' bread.

True to his half-Latin nature, Xavier wasted no time giving instructions to the geese as he flung scraps through the air. "Duckies, sit!" he ordered with a tone of authority. He also showed them his biceps just in case they wondered who was actually in charge of this feeding frenzy.

After the last morsel of bread sank into the green-hued water and the ducks lost interest in our visit, Thaus and I coaxed Xavier to a grassy area dotted with mature trees. I asked Xavier to stand in front of one tree and smile for Daddy, yet he immediately took this as an invitation to run circles around us. For the next 20 minutes, he ran winding paths through the trees, giggling and squealing at his all-too-clever evasive maneuvers. Occasionally he would stop and investigate a fallen branch, yet as soon as he saw the flash of the camera, he was off to the races again. This is what confounds me about my young Xavier and outdoor photo ops: For my sister Angie, he will sit still and pose, taking careful heed to her instruction. For Thaus and me, he will run away as fast as his size nines will carry him. When Thaus and I realized we were not going to get a picture worthy to share with family members, I joined in the fun chasing Xavier in circles as we played hide 'n' seek from Daddy.
We lingered for a few minutes longer until Thaus exclaimed that he was done feeding the natives. Our dinner party with the ducks evolved into uninvited party crashers mistaking us for their main course. We said goodbye to the ducks and the mosquitos, thankful for the memories we made, and headed north towards home, itching and scratching all the way.
Upon returning home, I asked Thaus to snap a few pictures of my belly so I could begin to document my pregnancy. Xavier put on my old running shoes and began tearing through the kitchen and living room areas, stopping only to stand in front of me in hopes of obstructing Daddy's view. Oh sure, now he wants his picture taken. He is such a funny and animated kid.

I cannot believe how my boy is losing his toddler features and transforming into a young adolescent right before me. He is becoming such a handsome little dude! Since it would be a shame to not have an original Angie Farley Foto in his three-year portfolio, perhaps my sister will take pity on me and offer to host a photo shoot somewhere in the near future. Hint, hint, Ang. Who could deny this sweet face?
1 comment:
He looks so good in that shirt! :) Of course I'll take his pictures!
Post a Comment