Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ever Onward

This morning as I was thumbing through the new Deseret Book catalog, I happened upon a print by Joseph Brickey entitled Ever Onward. I paused for a moment as I examined a scene of pioneers crossing the plains in a snowstorm, while pulling and pushing their handcarts against fierce winds. Looking at this print reminded me of the trials during their day. The pioneers endured unrelenting physical hardships.

I am very blessed to have been born in a time of modern convenience. I have technology at my fingertips, can travel anywhere I please in the comfort of an air conditioned vehicle, and have fresh food available at every corner market. My home is equipped with electrical and plumbing, and I can wash my clothes while simultaneously running a load of dirty dishes. The physical hardships of the pioneers' day do not naturally register in my mind or on my HTC screen.

Consequently, I firmly believe that living in an era of technological advances and luxuries has caused our current society to exchange physical hardships for trials of a pyschological and spiritual nature.

Our country has slowly removed itself from the traditional values upon which it was founded in favor of more liberal and "progressive" movements. Each generation feels a need or desire to separate itself from the generation gone before, to become an ensign of their decade, to be known as the ones who traded the oppression of conservative living for the freedom of unrestrained expression, however irresponsible or unaccountable it may appear to be.

Tolerance of individual differences and mutual respect have given way to personal notions of freedom and agency. A citizen may subjectively believe that others should always be in line with his/her thinking. If you do not agree with a particular notion, then you are deemed intolerant. In my own experience, I cannot equate tolerance with acceptance. I believe a person can be tolerant of another's viewpoint without showing acceptance of that viewpoint.

Hence, we hear discourses from all social circles and levels of government that freedom and agency are to be our upmost priorities. Many are led to believe we are granted these privileges from Deity, and as endowed, we are to use them as an entitlement or right. Since freedom and agency so often travel in similar trajectory, allow me the latitude to clarify my own interpretations of these words. I do believe we are endowed with freedom and agency from our Creator. However, although we are free to choose and act for ourselves, we are not free to choose our consequences. Although several members of society believe we should be free to choose and then free to abstain from all responsibility, abuse of our freedoms and agency can only lead to imprisonment. You may never find yourself confined to a cell of gray bars, but the invisible chains of unrestrained agency can negatively affect a society as a whole. Please know I am not intending to begin a debate on the Bill of Rights and who may have the freedom to act or not act in particular situations. My intent in sharing these thoughts is only to illuminate where our freedom has brought us.

I preface my following comments with a reminder of tolerant civility. I respect the views of those who contradict my conservative lifestyle, and I respect the decisions of those who walk paths unfamiliar to me, yet under the First Amendment, I do have the right to choose for myself and speak for myself. I have chosen a side on a current political and religious debate, and I am not ashamed to discuss my feelings on the subject. I believe our Constitution is bearing a heavy burden from the growing distortion of American values, yet my trust and faith in the inspired wisdom of that 223 year old document remains as strong as the day it was designed.

I am saddened and feel much regret over the decision made yesterday by Judge Vaughn R. Walker of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The people of California have spoken and voted on the issue of marriage and what defines a marriage. Although the citizens of California have clearly determined that a legal marriage should only be between a man and a woman, Judge Walker overturned the results of the vote. California's majority was silenced.

What saddens me even more deeply is the opponents of this law perceive this ruling as a victory. I fail to see how America would cheer a decision which tears at the fabric of Her very core. The thought occurs to me that even if same-gendered individuals are allowed to legally marry, they would not be content and satisfied with the concession from the majority. They are attempting to fill a void in their lives, and attain a true happiness under the guise of equality. You may call a spade a diamond, and even disguise it to appear as so, but in the end it is still a spade. A spade may not perform the function of a diamond, neither will it be able to replace a diamond. I speak firmly and boldly when I say that men and women are meant to compliment and perfect each other. You cannot progress in this life or in the life to follow bound to a person of the same gender. As Eve became Adam's companion in the Garden, a precedence and example was set for all to follow. It is impossible to achieve equality and cultivate enduring, eternal relationships when deviating from this principle. If we allow or even permit the basic unit of our society to be altered to suit personal desires and exploitations, we will fall under the power of he who seeks to destroy the family. It has been my experience that the quiet paths to destruction have been known to surprise us all.

I take comfort in knowing that in the midst of our psychological and spiritual trials, we can remain faithful to the beliefs we hold true, to the beliefs which keep us grounded, to the beliefs which give us hope for a brighter future. Akin to the pioneers braving the elements in search of a better life, we too can persevere against the snowstorms and winds to enrich our lives and strengthen the lives of those around us. Armed with a simple cloak of faith, and with a sincere desire to protect our families, we too, shall press ever onward.

3 comments:

Holly said...

To me the bigger issue is not that same gender marriage may be legal in California, but that a judge, one man, had the power to silence the voices of million of voters. I don't think that's what our founding fathers had in mind when they planned the 3 branches of our government.

discombobulated said...

Yep... that's what is so troublesome to me. What's the point of asking people to vote if it doesn't really matter in the end?

Anonymous said...

It makes me want to spit nails.