"Hey young'ins! How you'ins doin'?" lingers in my mind like the musky scent of Grandpa's tobacco. Grandpa Charlie's, a.k.a Chod, brand of southern draw was the first to greet you upon entering his home, followed by a big hug, warm smile, and twinkle in his eye. Grandpa was always excited to see his young'ins.
My sisters and I loved visiting with our grandpa. He would entertain us with stories from the past, his interpretation of WWII, how the Republicans had screwed up the economy, and why the hospital needed a union. Then he would take us around his plot of land so we could visit the innumerable species of roaming wildlife...dogs, cats, horses, cow, pig, and pigeons. Lots and lots of pigeons. Grandpa loved those dirty birds. And we, well, we loved Grandpa.
It was a common occurrence while visiting Grandpa for him to dig deep into his faded blue Levis, present us girls each with a quarter, and ask us if we wanted to go for a ride. Then he would load us up in his beat up old Ford and drive us down to the corner store so we could pick out a treat or two.
On several occasions, Grandpa would ask me what my name is. Knowing that he couldn't possibly forget the name of one of his favorite granddaughters, I would giggle and answer, "Erika, Grandpa!". To which he would promptly reply, "Puddintang. Ask me again and I'll tell you the same." I loved Grandpa's simple, random sense of humor.
The last time I visited with my grandfather, he asked me if I knew the distance of a flea's jump. Since I did not know there was going to be a pop quiz upon our meeting, I was unprepared to offer an intelligible response. (Fleas can jump horizontally up to 80 feet, or 200 times their body length.) And just to make sure I understood the actual distance, he was kind enough to illustrate by using markers in his front yard. Yes, friends, my visits with my grandfather were not only entertaining, they were educational too.
I'm going to miss my sweet grandpa. I take comfort in knowing that he is experiencing a joyful reunion with family and friends. I hope he knows how special he is to us, and that I look forward to seeing him again someday. Love you, Grandpa. Enjoy your time of renewal and discovery. And if St. Peter asks you your name, make sure you tell him "Puddintang".
Noble Charles Earl Name
February 2, 1929 - July 5, 2009
(Grandpa and me on my first birthday)
(Grandpa and Angie)
(Grandpa and Grandma at my 16th birthday party)
1 comment:
Your story brought tears to my eyes, happy and sad, which is exactly how I feel for you and your family. How sweet it is that you have such vivid memories of what sounds like a wonderful man and Grandpa.
Post a Comment