Saturday, July 25, 2009

Let the Good Times Roll



The good times and the east canyon winds were rolling yesterday evening at the Spanish Fork ball diamond. In celebration of Utah's Pioneer Day holiday, family and friends gathered downtown for a free concert highlighting local bands and a masterful city production of musically synchronized fireworks.

Thaus and I loaded up our kids, Gram, drinks, treats, and lounging equipment four hours before the start of the highly anticipated aerial display. We wanted to capture prime real estate and square off a 20 foot area so any unwanted riff raff wouldn't sneak onto our turf. Yeah, that's you, Santaquin City invaders! We have already filled our quota with Payson City refugees.

You can imagine our surprise when we entered the desolate field and noticed the infield was missing a stage. Hmmm...clue number one. Oh, well. Maybe we will be surprised with other forms of entertainment. Then the irrepressible Spanish Fork gale force winds stirred up some black clouds and light rains, knocking over unoccupied camp chairs, small children, and shih tzu-sized tag-a-longs. The rains came, went, and came again, and since only Brett and I were wearing white shirts, I thought it only fitting to challenge him to a wet t-shirt contest, even though the odds were definitely in his favor...J/K Brett. He declined my earnest offer, leaving the girls and I to seek other forms of entertainment, including dishing on kids, summer vacations, and the eclectic clothing styles of southern Utah County hillbillies.

Apparently, I missed the memo on the budget cuts this year. I will now be seeking new employment as I have been fired from organizing any more family functions. My parents and their friends were looking forward to a rockin' concert and all I could offer them were toddler treats and glow-in-the-dark necklaces. They were a little disappointed yet I assured them the pyrotechnic explosions would well be worth the wait. Think "positive spin" here, folks...family togetherness, the great outdoors, rest and relaxation. I knew my ship had sunk when the lights were darkened and we were greeted by a distorted "hi-fi Dolby surround sound" PA system and 20 minutes of fireworks that were synchronized only to the "what song is this?", "I can't hear the music", and "is this normal?" jeers that were streaming from the north central point of the ball field. That wouldn't happen to be the Name section of the field, would it?

Regardless of Spanish Fork City's lackluster attempt at honoring our beloved pioneers, we did enjoy the excuse to sit on our keisters and do nothing but watch the kids reenact their version of the wild, wild West.


Auntie Erika & Sammie


Grandma & Grandpa and friends


Diet Coke stealin' X. Watch your drinks when this kid is around
cause he is a swiper and a chugger!


Angie with her built-in rain cover and homemade snickerdoodle goodness.


Makaili and Ashley seeking shelter from the storm.


Oops! Forgot the flash on this one. The animals are trying
to escape.


Angie's best friend Stacy and her two cuties, Ashlyn and Ryan.


Sammie and X would like to request volume control on the the sonic booms.




Happy 24th to our blessed, honored pioneers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, too funny. I love that pic of Sammie with her candy necklace; the girl never stops eating sugar! It was still fun, even with no music. I look like Mrs. Claus in that picture!

ang said...

glad you had a fun time despite the budget cuts LOL.