I think I missed the latest edition of Astronomy Online because I am fairly certain that the moon has left our orbit in search of a new one, or our axis is becoming so tilted that I am walking a little sideways. Unfortunately, neither V8 nor the Naval Observatory can help me with this one. I am so discombobulated at this very moment that I am thinking of leaving our galaxy in search of a one that employs the use of brain activity, for I fear the inhabitants of my host planet are losing the functioning power of their synapses at an alarming rate.
Case-in-point #1: I do NOT need marriage couseling. However, I do feel that I could benefit from another hole in my head. Since when does a state-employed play therapist surmise that my ten-year old child's "normal" behavior (lying, cheating, stealing, manipulating, controlling, etc.) constitute a breakdown in my marital bliss? Granted, my anxiety level from raising a child who was previously raised by friends and family of Kishkumen isn't exactly what we would call "mild to moderate", but I ain't jumping off any bridges, lady.
Case-in-point #2: I love my husband, but seriously, isn't there some kind of school he can go to so that what he thinks he already knows about me can be erased and he can be programmed with what I think he should know about me? I am beginning to wonder if he has ever met me, or maybe my personality has split and I haven't even met me! In an effort to placate the therapist and downplay my passion and dedication for authoritative parenting (not to be confused with authoritarian parenting), he actually commented that my intense anxiety is the result of stressors originating externally and not a result of a ten-year old child residing in our happy home. Hmmm...I gotta think about this a little harder because my synapses are telling my stomach to not only inject grandiose levels of acid into my veins, but also to eat ginormous holes in my esophagus.
Case-in-point #3: It has come to my attention that I have failed to follow rules of an unwritten system. For those of you reading this who have ever heard mere mention of my name, you realize this is laughable. I was born to follow rules and my life's mission is to get others to follow rules or to go to Hell talking about them behind their backs because of their audacious independence and unwillingness to follow rules. C'mon peeps, I don't write the rules; I just enforce them...no need to be scared by the whip in hand...I promise it's only there for decorative purposes.
So, my husband tells me after his attendance at family therapy yesterday (which I do not attend because of my work schedule...thank goodness) that the therapist reads my weekly reports which I send to the agency and I am too thorough in the mandated information which I am required to supply each Thursday. On the behavioral summation section, I give examples and specifically note his behavioral tendencies and what he struggles with each week. Silly me, I thought that would be useful information. Apparently not. My thoroughness constitutes a lack of progress in the "state's goals" for said ten-year old and the therapist would like my husband to start writing the reports. The anticipation is that he will write a one-liner which will not conflict with the red tape wishes of our bureaucratically minded, state funded social system of placement and advancement for troubled children. To avoid accusations of being anything other than a team player, today I wrote, "...acts like a ten-year old." Nothing less, nothing more.
Systems. You gotta love 'em...or do you? I recall my mother's system of management and Kathy did not raise me to perform or accept a half-assed job on anything. The state may feel mediocrity is perfectly acceptable, but not me. And we wonder why state-operated institutions of reform are expensive and unsuccessful. If you are still my friend and reading this, I will tell you why...because too many people are comfortable with sweeping society's problems under an invisible rug...a rug that no one will ever look under because it does not officially exist. Fortunately for me, I am more concerned with shaming my mother than with towing a line of government imposed socialism, communism, or whatever you would like to call it. Those systems do not work. I have found, though, that Kathy's system does work. My gravitational path was predictable when she was in charge, but then again, Pluto was still considered a planet when she held the reins. If we allow certain governmental programs or their officers, even on a small scale, to dictate our conscience and acts thereof, I fear more planets will dissent from our galaxy and then what will we do? Something tells me neither Astonomy Online nor the Navel Observatory will be able to help redirect our course. If our destination is a set on a plane outside of our current orbit, our loss of course will allow Kolob to gravitate even further from our view and ultimately out of our reach.
5 comments:
Yowzah! Most people at those offices just want a paycheck; they figure the kid is someone else's problem. Good for you for stickin' to your guns! I love the "acts like a 10 year old" line. You should spell it phonetically next time so they might be able to understand it! :)
wow. can i bring you a pan of brownies?
Kick their butts and run for office!! You go girl.
So are you feeling a little less sideways now? Your family is in an incredibly difficult and stressful situation, but the end result could be that that little boy has a better chance at a happy meaningful life. You guys and all the people that are helping these lost little boys are hero's to me.
Go Erika! I think its great you are standing up to the system. Don't ever compromise its not worth it. You are doing what you think is best for your 10 year old, keep it up! He will be so grateful to you for not giving up on him! You have already made a big difference in his life because you care!
Post a Comment