Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Elements

Friends, who among us does not love a little high school chemistry? No, I am not referring to the girl-loves-boy, boy-loves-every-girl-wearing-a-perky-water-filled-Wonderbra type of chemistry, but the sodium, hydrogen, let's make a positive ion kind of chemistry. I will have you know that in my tenth grade chemistry class I scored one hundred percent on my Periodic Table of the Elements exam. Thanks to the eccentric yet brilliant Mr. Hole, I can now tell you that phosphorus is not only a non-metallic element possessing multiple allotrophic forms, it is also an essential element for living organisms. So, in honor of our much neglected Periodic Table, ('cause let's face it, iridium never gets its due), let's take a little quiz of our own. Doesn't that sound like fun on a Tuesday afternoon?

What do you get when you combine Radium, Boron, and Iridium?

A. An amorphous brown allotrophe
B. A salty metallic metal
C. A radioactive isotope

Since I am not a chemist and totally cheated on my periodic table exam, I haven't the slightest clue. However, periodic elements aside, I have discovered what you get when you cross an ink pen, flesh, and two-year old curiosity...an unsupervised visit to Daddy's office.





P.S. I really didn't cheat on my exam. Rubidium is no match for the queen of radioactive isotopes! Like rubidium, I too am highly reactive and have been known to ignite spontaneously in the air. Must be a natural reaction when exposed to big organic carbons who allow smaller carbons to experiment with blue ink compounds!

No comments: