Monday, September 21, 2009

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye



Ah, summer...the two syllables roll off my tongue with a penchant ease, forcing a smile to cross my lips, inciting a strange desire to strip any unnecessary layers of clothing from my carbohydrate-laden body. For me, summer has always been synonymous with fun and frolic, sun and sand, sunshine and smiles. One of my three favorite seasons of the year, ('cause I really only hate winter), summertime provides the ultimate opportunity to break away from the storms of life, to enjoy the simple pleasures nature has to offer, all the while celebrating the greatest country on earth. For fear of bragging, I cannot resist the impulse to relive a few treasured memories, brought to us courtesy of June, July, and August. Everyone I know went on vacation, exploring the vast expanses of America and beyond. Like my fellow Americans, that long-awaited and anticipated summer trip fills up my empty gas tank so I can make it through the following months, giving me a little extra boost to rejuvenate my mind, enliven the spirit, and increase daily productivity.

As a hard working American, I feel privileged to share my own summer rendezvous with all of you, my loyal and dedicated friends. When I reached the luminous gulf shore of our beautiful country, my soul literally exhaled as I buried my toes in the shimmery white, pebbled beach. Each grain of sand is as fine as sifted flour...my immediate urge upon seeing the vast sandbox is to hurl myself into it, rolling around like I have won the lottery, perhaps even making a sand angel. (Luckily, I have an overriding sense of self-control so I was able to keep my grandiose displays of beach affection in check.) However, my feet did sing with praise as each therapeutic step toward the ocean cushioned my weary and ragged heels. I stood immovable in the gentle tide of the afternoon surf, the tingle of the salt air tantalizing my skin as the warm breeze engulfed me. My inner sanctum soaked in each and every unfiltered ray of sunshine love that glistened above the northern horizon, and I must admit the tan I was gifted with is pretty killer. I even giggled each time one of those cute, muscle-bound cabana boys brought me a pina colada with a splash of strawberry. Moonlit walks on the beach, bike rides along the pier, grilled pineapple with fresh fish and mango salsa. All so much fun...

And don't even get me started on the weekly trips cruising Utah's finest lakes by pontoon...the neighborhood BBQs, the weekend excursions to towns near and far, floating in the pool, roasting s'mores in the canyon, taking in the delightfully intoxicating hybrid smell of lilac and laundry soap on midnight runs. Yes, summer is a blessed time of year.

Oh, wait. Today is the last day of summer and I didn't get to do ANY of those things 'cause I was stuck in a 5' cubicle with no window! Being an oppressed middle class worker sucks. Goodbye, summer. I shall miss you. Please come and visit me again sometime, won't you?

3 comments:

ang said...

darn. it all sounded so lovely too.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking, "What's she talkin' 'bout, Willis?? She didn't do any of that." And then I read on.... Ü

Unknown said...

Hey...I have one of those crazy fun-zapping cubes too...I vote we get a large bowl of really warm water and a cake pan full of some sand and leave em under our desks...then...on break..we can close our eyes and feel the sand beneath our feet and the water kissing our toes...ahhh...listen...listen...I think I hear the ocean. Sssshhhh...and don't open your eyes...it is really just the copier across the aisle. Blast it. :)