Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oh, How Lovely Was The Morning!

Oh, how lovely was the morning!
Radiant beamed the sun above.
Bees were humming, sweet birds singing,
Music ringing through the grove...

Okay, so it didn't exactly play out like Joseph's Smith's First Prayer, but the morning's stunning splendor did cause me pause at the Tabernacle Saturday morning. I was running around, looking and sounding all bossy ('cause someone has to direct the unruly graduates!), when I stopped mid-stride and noticed the early morning light radiating off the red silhouetted mountainside. My camera phone is not generous with the pixel count, thus being stingy on real-time beauty, yet injustices aside, I couldn't resist a photo. What a blessing it is to welcome the calming effect of nature when I am surrounded by chaos. I am thankful I not only took the time to pause, yet recognized the need for it during the hustle and bustle of the morning's festivities.



Saturday afternoon wasn't so bad either. After Thaus returned home from work, we tilled the pea pod in our front yard, prepping the soil to allow easier planting of bushes and spring bulbs. Without prodding from his overly ambitious parents, Xavier helped himself to a rake and began "smoothing" the dirt. I am continually amazed by the little worker he is and how he is always willing to help. He enjoys family work and it is my hope, with ongoing encouragement, he will nurture the desire to serve family and friends as he ages. What a sweet little landscaper Thaus and I have been blessed with!





During a rest from our labors, Xavier and I cooled ourselves in the shade of the front porch. We shared a bottle of water and engaged in a mother-son chat. Animatedly, he shared wondrous tales as I "oohed" and "awed" and skillfully dodged the more energetic hand gestures. Although I did not understand much of his unique language, I responded to him in the following: "Xavier, you are a very smart boy. You know you get that from me, don't you?" He smiled and continued blabbing on. I took this opportunity to clue him in to keeping this little secret between he and I. We love Daddy and want him to feel special, yet why cause waves unnecessarily? He nodded and patted my knee in understanding. Yes, these are definitely the Name genes at work. Now, if only I had a decoder...