That's amore...
or Gram's special recipe for spaghetti and meatballs.
Gram enjoys preparing a special dish for the family every now and then. On a Sunday afternoon in July, she thought it would be fun to make her four hour sauce and fried meatballs. Most people would think, "Sweet! I don't have to cook a meal and can come home from church to enjoy a relaxing summer afternoon." However, announcements like these incite the opposite reaction in Thaus and me; in case you have never been out to a restaurant with us or ever invited us to your home for a BBQ, we are complete and irrefutable food snobs. Thaus immediately assumes the bitter beer face with mere mention of home cooked meals prepared by anyone other than himself (yes, friends, that includes yours truly). His neck transforms into that of a peacock and his tongue stretches to twice it's normal diameter. My darling husband's diet consists of five edible products, most of which are processed and housed in the top level of the food guide pyramid, if they are even found on the food guide pyramid at all (and you thought cooking for your kids was tough). I, on the other hand, strive to be health conscious and am extremely picky about consuming anything which has been fried or may contain high levels of carbohydrates. I actually enjoy eating food cooked by others, as long as I have been in their kitchens at least once. I guess I should clarify: Thaus and I are both food snobs, yet we suffer from varying levels of IFD (Irrational Food Disorder). The simple truth is that we are Harry Sanborn sized germ-a-phobes living in an amoeba filled world and we are prone to reactive judgments. You could make the best tasting dish on the planet and if we even sense an ingredient we fear and/or despise, you will have to bribe us into sampling it. For example, I absolutely and without equivocation abhor onions; the smell alone makes me want to purge last year's mystery meat plates. Don't even get me started on the texture. Cooked or raw, onions and I cannot peaceably co-exist. On several occasions, I have attempted to coax my sweet Gram into using onion powder. Unfortunately, my powers of persuasion are defenseless against her; she will not budge. I am then left to summon my mental powers of persuasion in hopes of suppressing my ultrasensitive gag reflex any time she cuts one of those white invaders of harmony. Yuck!
Getting back to the spaghetti, Gram's sauce filled the air of our home with a delightful aroma; everyone who tasted her home cooked love thoroughly savored every bite. Thaus' and my apprehension was all for naught; it was a great meal with good company and entertaining conversation.
The chef extraordinaire with her famous s'ghetti and meatballs. BTW, that isn't a glare from the setting sun streaming through the windows; it's the angels coming to check it out for themselves.
Sammie is ready to tempt her taste buds!
Even Xavier is excited! Or constipated. You decide.
Stop or I'll shoot!
Tussle on the Tramp
Bring on Auntie's caramel cake!
2 comments:
Xavier looks so different with his new haircut! Makes him look a little more mischevious (if that's possible). Wish I could have joined you, it looks fabulous!
AHhh, your grandma is sooo cute!!! That dinner looks delish! Love ya tons, Kell
Post a Comment