Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nuggets



Do you ever find yourself on a scavenger hunt searching for nuggets? Some people hunt for temporal nuggets such as gold, silver, or cotton, ('cause where do those socks really disappear to?) while others search for nuggets of spiritual enlightenment and refinement including peace, serenity, or clarity. For the past two years, each day of my mortal journey has been a search for nuggets of truth. I revere truth and I esteem those who are truthful with themselves, with others, and with me. Thaus and I strive to plant seeds of truth in our children. We love the Lord, we unite in living the gospel, and we cling to the enduring, truthful principles found within the tenants of gospel worship. We pray with our children, we teach our children, we work for our children, we serve our children, and we do all within our power to magnify the stewardship the Lord has given us. Additionally, I think we might get bonus points for Sabbath day viewing of the Living Scriptures instead of those weird anime concoctions that our eldest likes so well.

Cartoon morality aside, you would think after two years in our home, our eldest child would know the difference between truth and fiction. Apparently, this is a more difficult concept to grasp than the difference between clean and dirty. Say, "huh?" and wrinkle your forehead in crippling confusion. Young master is eleven; he doesn't get the difference between these extremes either.

The lies told in my home are multiplying at such an alarming rate, that our young master's physical landscape is beginning to change. His freckles are morphing into a grainy paste, his coloring resembles that of light oak, and there are branches sprouting from his nasal cavities. Windows are getting broken, woodpeckers and crickets are attacking, and I think Xavier might be getting a new treehouse in time for the holidays. Young master's nose has grown so long that there are now 2 x 4s assembling themselves around the maple in my backyard. That reminds me...as a side note to my neighbors and friends, do not be suprised if for Christmas this year you receive generous bundles of logs and kindling from the Amonetts. My man has been firing up the chainsaw...

So, friends, my quest for truth continues. Whether or not I will ever receive a golden nugget of truth from this boy remains to be seen. However, my search for nuggets has not proven entirely futile. My boss keeps a jar of Hershey's Almond and Toffee Nuggets on his desk. If the truth and I cannot peaceably coexist, you better believe Hershey's and I can. Chocolate nuggets have a way of coating my ulcers and dole their own brand of serenity. Long live truth; God bless Hershey for trying to help people find it.

Dammit all and good day!

2 comments:

Taylor's said...

You make me laugh till I am in tears. I love it when you write, and today I think your ending is beyond funny.

Sarah Nitta said...

I mean really, really, Erika. You save me.